Karmann Ghia again.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Karmann Ghia again.

Post by mycar »

Evening, anybody have an opinion about this splendid looking veehicle.

Tell it like it is. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

Thanks, Mike.
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

Hey,

Nice looking thing ain't it :-) but IMHO opinion something doesn't smell right. Not sure what, maybe a lack of info. Just my opinion natch darlink

M
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

Nige

Post by Nige »

Same here, the engine in there has certainly had a lot of work so I doubt its a 1600 as listed, 911 cooling, twin carbs, breather setup. 1968 KG would either be a 1300 or a 1500cc. There seems to be alot of mods and details about that car that isn't mentioned in the ad. I certainly be asking for more details and photos before placing a bid.

Looks nice otherwise but tread carefully. If everything adds up and its solid car its should reach double what the bid is now. Looks like a snide auction to be honest as you'd be listing all more details about it.

It looks familiar too, I'm sure I've seen it in a mag article some years ago with a tan/cream leather interior.

They're not Porsche wheels either, just Empi 5 spokes so nothing too special. Bad choice of bee sting aerial too. I'd need to check but I'm not sure the trim, indicators and rear lights are 68 fittings, I'm sure they're earlier.

Did you ever get in contact with Karmann Ghia Motorworks?
mycar

Post by mycar »

Thanks guys. I too found the lack of information slightly worrying. I`ve been watching these Ebay ads for Karmann Ghias for months now and the one thing they have in common is long spec list. I generally get the feeling that the majority of people selling these cars love them and have been very involved with them.

I`m not sure what you mean by a `snide auction`, Nige but it sounds dodgy :lol: I haven`t contacted KGM because, to be honest, Mrs Mycars urge for a Ghia is mercurial to say the least. I thought she`d forgotten all about it (again) but seeing this advert has fanned the flames.

I`ve fired off an email requesting more photos and details etc but no reply as yet. Unfortunately, the car being in Southampton means it`s unlikely that I`ll get to see it, so it`s probably not going to be `the one`.
I`ll let you know if the guy replies.

Thanks for you input, Regards, Mike.
early2.2S
DDK addict

Post by early2.2S »

Mike,
if it's of interest then i'd be happy to view it in the flesh and take some piccies on your behalf - Southampton is only 20 miles away - just let me know.
Regards
Stuart
mycar

Post by mycar »

Stuart, thankyou very much for the offer. I have had a reply from the vendor and he has posted some more photos on the ad. Unfortunately, other than `the car was restored 3 1/2 years ago and it has a very high quality hood`, details are still a bit sketchy. He did offer me a buy it now price and keeps mentioning cash.

Looking at the photos, I`ve decided it`s not something I want to get involved with, (but I know now I can fly down to Southampton from Leeds Bradford in an hour and five minutes for £47 which seems a bit of a bargain :lol: ) So thanks for all your help, I`m going to pass.

For your idle curiosity here are some alternatives on the market right now.

One in Bingley http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C106027/ Good colour.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C142035/

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C138385/

And this beauty, I`m sure I`ve seen her on DDk before..... I`m a big fan of things that wear in before they wear out..... I love it.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C134071/

Regards, Mike.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

that is 8)
love the rat look, and a slammed karmann suits it so well!
Nige

Post by Nige »

Mike, will it be her daily driver?
atomman
Married to the DDK

Post by atomman »

And this beauty, I`m sure I`ve seen her on DDk before..... I`m a big fan of things that wear in before they wear out..... I love it.

That's my friends old lowlight ghia, I liked it so much i brought one to and we went to VW shows in them for a season a few years back.

see if i can find a pic of mine
atomman
Married to the DDK

Post by atomman »

there you go.

If you need any advise on ghia's i'd be glad to help

Gary
neil76
DDK Fanatic

Post by neil76 »

Something about the original ad doesn't seem right to me either. Looks very nice though but worth double where it is at now, that engine bay has seen some serious ££'s. Unless of course the floor is falling out, the pictures were taken 3 years ago and now the hood is mouldy/saggy and the front end is full of filler.
mycar

Post by mycar »

Nige wrote:Mike, will it be her daily driver?
:lol: Nope, she`s a Volvo girl by day and to be honest, despite me extolling the virtues of a rat car, she was definately glazing over and making `hmmm` sounds :lol:

No, what Mrs. Mycar wants is a pretty soft top to swan around in on the weekend and by the way, she loves two tone upholstery.

I also get the distinct impression she thinks that I should be forking out for it. There was a time, a while ago, when the Merc advert with the Janis Joplin lyrics was been played a lot, I bought her a classic Merc. Wrapped the keys up in a match box for Valentines Day. It was all going very well until she actually saw the car (admittedly it was brown) and she wouldn`t even sit in it. :lol:

I have the feeling she wants to recreate that scenario but with a car she actually likes this time.
atomman wrote:Image

there you go.

If you need any advise on ghia's i'd be glad to help

Gary
That looks very nice doesn`t it, thanks for the offer Gary, I`ll keep you informed of progress..... if there is any. :)

Mike.
Empi76
DDK Fanatic

Post by Empi76 »

mycar wrote: And this beauty, I`m sure I`ve seen her on DDk before..... I`m a big fan of things that wear in before they wear out..... I love it.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C134071/

Regards, Mike.
Tis my old Low Light :) 8)
Nige

Post by Nige »

http://www.kgcentre.co.uk/vehicles_for_sale.htm

top of the list, looks reasonable enough for a viewing. Don't like the later trim and fittings on the later ones though and I don't think the empi 8 spokes do anything for it.