Ideas for a car up to £10,000 ?? UPDATED

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Ideas for a car up to £10,000 ?? UPDATED

Post by 964RS »

Ok looks like the boxster is going to be written off :cry:

So may be on the look out for something new and have no idea what i want or what to get :?

So interested in your suggestions!

To put into context....there is me, missus, 3 kids under 10. We already have a Chrsyler Grand Voyager as our school bus and general shifting loads work horse. I also have my 2.8RSR rep for fun.

We do need another car though. We are always ferrying the kids one place or another and my daughter does about 20 activities a week. We coped quite well with the boxster, even doing weekly shopping etc and i did love the car - the handling was sublime, power just enough and decent mpg but it did only have the two seats which meant could only be used for 2 of us!

I don't want something that costs a lot to maintain, gets 10mpg and depreciates like a stone, is as dull to drive as dishwater, slow as a tractor and is plain ugly.

Maybe another boxster will suffice but be interested in any other ideas?!!!

UPDATE: CAR IS BEING REPAIRED BUT BEING BOUGHT BY THE GARAGE.

WIFE WANTS ANOTHER CONVERTIBLE - SUGGESTIONS?? 4 SEATER???
Last edited by 964RS on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

I'd be going for a nice Subaru Impreza WRX. Lovely engine note, good motor racing history, not so much of a boy racer image if you choose subtle colours, very reliable etc. Having driven one on a track/ experience day recently I was very impressed - and the one I drove had spent the last 2 years being used a track hack. Still impressed...
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
neil76
DDK Fanatic

Post by neil76 »

Audi S4
Mini Cooper S (lots of go faster bits and bobs to make it 'yours')
964 (cheaper end of the market)
Imprezza
M3 (E36 or high miler E46)
Merc C32 AMG
Golf R32
Audi S3

or do you want a drop top?

Audi A4 Cabrio (4 seats)
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

I'd also consider BMW M5 - nice little review of all M5's in current Evo.
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1959 Lambretta Li125
neil76
DDK Fanatic

Post by neil76 »

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

BMW E39 m5, or for 6-7k get a nice e39 530i / 540i / 530d sport
BMW E60 (your choice of early cars at 10k)
Alpina B3.3

if you want a drive or poke around an e39 530d sport let me know; i'll be going past your place saturday on my way to newarke

i do have slightly dead tyres and slightly warped disks at the mo though; waiting for my summer wheels to come back from a re-furb next week/week after before sorting..

johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

Beat the insurers at their own game. Buy a Cat C Cayenne and stick it on gas, or a Cat C Touareg diesel. Loads of power, great driving position, loads of space.

A decent Cayenne is not gonna get much cheaper than 8 grand in its lifetime, if it even gets that cheap, so minimal depreciation.
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

Job done 8)
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1959 Lambretta Li125
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Scooby not sure about - would just feel like a boy racer i feel and the interiors on the ones i've seen are horrible and fall apart. Isn't their consumption scary too if you put your foot down! Great handling cars for the road though.

If its not going to be a roadster (might look into buying the boxster back and fixing it actually) then it may as well be big enough to get at least 4 of us in comfortably.

Like the audi/vw reliability and mpg just not sure they make me go YUM!

Fast beemer is certainly an option but i know sod all about BMWs...in fact probably less than any other model in the world...i was the official instigator of BMWs are driven by C@@@s many years ago....! So i'd be a bit of a numbskull when it comes to what is good/bad and what is great value and what i'm getting screwed on!

Cat C not sure about John or where to get one but a Cat D fast 4x4 might be interesting - again where do these cars get disposed of though?

Thinking about it I never actually drive that quickly on the road (certainly not with any of the family in the car).

Keep them coming :)
Jason

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

johndglynn wrote:Touareg diesel.. ..great driving position
i found the towrag made me a bit seasick with its bouncy or jelly suspension switch.. also im not sure it ticks the fun to drive box.. will be a hell of a good car for 6-8k in a couple of years though!!
Johnny Graham
DDK addict

Post by Johnny Graham »

Panda 100 would be up there for me! Chic, economy, 4 seats, blue teeth and aircon.
johndglynn wrote: things about Cat C Cayennes on gas...
We are going to be in a similar boat I think, needing a new family car as we've lost confidence in mercedes big time, and I was thinking base model Cayennes too. Loads of car for the money cos everybody's so obsessed with image. But Cat C is surely recipe for total nightmare at resale time?

We were also going to try and find an unmolested (fat chance!) classic impreza turbo wagon (in silver or dark blue without gold wheels, no boy racer image)
Cheers, Johnny

'89 Carrera 4, '65 356C, '99 Maserati 3200GT
Winter hack: '92 Hilux Smurf
Wife's: '99 E320CDI estate
Awaiting fettlement: '83 w123 280E, '84 2CV6.
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

What about a Civic Type R? Fun, fast, great engine and just so reliable?
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

as a quick history lesson on 5-series BMWs..

1990 - 1997? e34 - most people who own e34's say they're the best and wouldn't trade for a newer one, and if they do they're disappointed. They're the last of the "handmade" 5-series, and are rock-solid reliability wise, and good fun (if a little old-school) to drive. pay anything from £100 for an early shagger of a 520i to £10,000 for the best 3.8 M5 model

1997 - 2003 e39 - most people who own e39's think they're the best cars ever built (inc me ;) ) and keep coming back to them time and time again.. e39 M5 is a monster; if you drive one you will want to buy one, no question. dont expect much over 22mpg though. the 530i / d sports are 90% of the car with 80% of the performance and 50% of the bills..
there are a few reliability issues with the 530d which people make a big deal out of on the internet however these can easilly be resolved with preventative fixes/maintanence, most notably turbo failure (which can be cured by changing to the newer e60 oil breather) and swirl-flap failure which can be improved by removing the swirl-flaps and fitting blanking plugs. Total for the above AND an EGR bypass for a bit more throttle response around £200. a 530d sport will give 35mpg around town, and 40+ on the motorway, and hassle anything upto an including a boxster on an a or b road (might struggle with a boxster s, but its big brother M5 could do the business). 530i is similar except no swirl flaps, no turbo failure issues, however the trade off is 25-32mpg..
All e39 autos have "weak" gearboxes; a small valve which regulates pressure in the box fails around 125 - 175,000 miles, however this can be changed along with the oil for £250 which sets you right for another 125-175,000 miles. With the right maintenance these things run for ever!
pay anything from £1000 - £10,000 for a non m5 (expect 6k for a post facelift 530d m-sport or 4-5 for a 530i) and anything from 7 - 25k for an m5 (although for 20k+ you're talking sub 10k miles and showroom cond from a main dealer)

2003 - 2010 e60/e61 - marmite styling, run-flat tyres (which = crashy ride, esp on sports) but newer engines and updates to everything. most people who have gone from e34 - e39 - e60 want to swap back into a low mileage e39!! again 7k upwards depending on model/age/mileage, although if you can stretch you should go for a post-facelift (often refered to as a LCI) model which has a few tweaks, plus the newer model engines and more efficient auto gearboxes (aswell as the "efficient dynamics" B.S.)

if you want to take a look at a beemer and want someone to tag along, give me a shout

b :)
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Or a Skoda Fabia vRS which was quicker than the Mini Cooper in the 5th Gear test.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Civic Type R mark one is a great little car - not sure about comfort/space though, although not certain of level i want either - certainly worth having in the 'melting pot'

Skoda VRs is good car too and pretty nippy.....but its a....and however good Friday nights at the pub are going to be very looooooong if I got one!

Cheers for all the info Ben thats really useful - will have a look a bout on the 5 series.
Jason