£105 / hr !!!!!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Re: £105 / hr !!!!!

Post by Mick Cliff »

hot66 wrote:wife had a slight mis-hap with refuelling our BMW
Friend of mine did that to his Jag X Type a while ago. Found out he was covered under his comprehensive insurance for such an event....
Worth a check?
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

hot66 wrote:wife had a slight mis-hap with refuelling our BMW :?

BMW dealers .... £105 / hr labour charge !!!!! :shock: £105 / hr labour charge !!!!!

and of course the job didn't only take 1 hour either !!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

For reference ... that's Harrogate BMW :evil:
You think thats bad, you want to hire a lawyer! :wink:
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

johnM wrote: You think thats bad, you want to hire a lawyer! :wink:
What sort of lawyer would work on Porsche. :roll:

Mike.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

it was stated that some lawyers work for less than BMW mechanics :shock:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

mycar wrote:What sort of lawyer would work on Porsche. :roll: Mike.
There is always one, isn't there....
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/profil ... file&u=831

;)

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
mycar

Post by mycar »

:lol: :lol: Hook, line and sinker.

Hope you are well Bert.

Mike.
mrk
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrk »

Found out that Porsche Leicester will look after 'older' Porsches for £40 p/h if you ask nicely...and they have a couple of tech's that have worked in the network forever so are pretty au fait with the old girls...l've got mine booked in for a once over and service etc with them later in the month. Think the standard rate's north of £100, but hats off to them for their initiative.....
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

bmw in leicester; complete tosh!.. 85 quid an hour on "older" cars (1 gen old) to try adn keep you going there, but i wouldnt trust them to do the work.. i brought a new air cleaner and a pair of pollen filters just after i brought my car, and the service manager nonchalantly walked passed and said.. "expensive arent they, the pollen filters? just do what we do, hoover them out" to which i replied "that would explain why my 6yr old car with FBMWSH from sytner leicester has totally shagged filters!" i got them for free to shut me up i expect, but i declined the free fitting saying i didn't trust them to do it properly :lol:

modern diesels with DPF's have issue with petrol as the DPF can be damaged and they are DAMN expensive! cat's not such an issue; they're not a requirement on a diesel so get rid of them :) seriously; gave me a better all-round improvement than a standard re-map for 1/2 the price

most german diesels will be certified for use with some biodiesels, however check the percentages first. its a requirement i think that all new diesels should be compatible with biodiesel, however that can be a few % bio content in a blend.. ..i think petrol stations are allowed to sell "diesel" with upto something like 5% bio content now without mentioning it to customers, and this is probably what drives it.
I think my car is ok upto 85% which is pretty high percentage; i remember VW/Audi are only upto 40% or something and skoda (who i thought use VAG engines and components) upto 25% or something like that..

b :)

ps.. there's something called fuelsafe or similar for company cars to stop people putting petrol in diesel cars. Replaces the fuel cap, and can only be removed by pushing the nozzle of the diesel pump onto the cap itself.. presumably that means your cap gets covered in diesel goo, and im not sure how it works on the continent (are all diesel nozzles smaller than all petrol nozzles everywhere in europe? )
think they're about 20 quid, which is a lot cheaper than the drain/refill, esp if your other 1/2 is a dab hand at doing it!!
356_outlaw
DDK addict

Post by 356_outlaw »

My local ford dealer is £120 / hr. You got a bargain.
Roddavies
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Roddavies »

If you realise at the pump that you have put the incorrect fuel in don't panic and call any local 'Wrong Fuel' guys...

A colleague put about £14 worth of Petrol in a Diesel van we run, realised at the pump called out one of these guys and they put a nozzle into the tank and pump all the fuel out into another tank within his own van... Push back to the pumps, fill up and off we went.

Total cost £50 +VAT and done in less than 30 minutes. :)

http://www.wrongfueluk.co.uk/services.html
petric
DDK forever

Post by petric »

james should have just filled up with derv and ran it. it would have done no harm might have been a bit quicker to with a bit clean out, you were right about adding it at winter time to stop it freezing.
your bill was kind for a bm dealer, a pal of mine filled his 530 d and never even started it they said it would 5k robbing gets
73 911T coupe
964RS

Post by 964RS »

mrk wrote:Found out that Porsche Leicester will look after 'older' Porsches for £40 p/h if you ask nicely...and they have a couple of tech's that have worked in the network forever so are pretty au fait with the old girls...l've got mine booked in for a once over and service etc with them later in the month. Think the standard rate's north of £100, but hats off to them for their initiative.....
IT WOULD HELP IF THEY TOLD PEOPLE :shock:

Never even bother ringing...but they are normally decent guys :cry:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

964RS

Post by 964RS »

hot66 wrote:
964RS wrote:I'd have thought if you filled the rest of the tank up with diesel it would have been fine? That can only be a small % of total diesel in a tank surely?
I did research this & according to 'the web' , on these modern high pressure diesels even a slight amount of petrol can damage the pumps, injectors etc . Bio-diesel isn't allow to be used in them either. To do with diesels lubricating properties.

Either way, didn't fancy risking it & being faced with an even bigger bill 2 weeks later when the injection system failed !

In the olde days it used to be recommended adding a bit of petrol to diesel in winter to stop freezing issues .
Chicken $hit :P

I bet it would have been fine.

My wife put £20 of diesel into our petrol Picasso some years ago and drove it until it stopped.

I hand filled it with trips to the garage and back and half a dozen canisters at a time.

Managed to get it started and held it at 5000 revs for 20 mins until it all burned away.

Worked fine for next 2 years till we sold it :)

I did smoke out half the countryside for at least 15 mins though :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

964RS wrote:
:lol:

Ey, Jayse,

I can borrow you a swatch. They saw you coming with all those rolexes, and perhaps thought "we're not going to bother this time"

;)

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
mrk
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrk »

964RS wrote:
mrk wrote:Found out that Porsche Leicester will look after 'older' Porsches for £40 p/h if you ask nicely...and they have a couple of tech's that have worked in the network forever so are pretty au fait with the old girls...l've got mine booked in for a once over and service etc with them later in the month. Think the standard rate's north of £100, but hats off to them for their initiative.....

Never even bother ringing...but they are normally decent guys :cry:
....not sure if that sort of 'value' message sits well alongside Porsche marketing in general, which is probably why it seems even most older 996's now enjoy a non-dealer service history. Still, at least WE know now! Who'd have thought my old girl would enjoy the ministrations of an authorised Porsche Dealer! Lucky her... 8)