Insurance

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Timbob
DDK Fanatic

Insurance

Post by Timbob »

Hi all - I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but anyone with recent experience might be able to help.

I have bought a "sensible" car (Subaru Forrester) to use every day and thought I would try to get it covered by AON / Footman James where my 911 is but they came out with a crazy quote.

Apparrently what is needed is someone who will "mirror" my no claim bonus (currently used on the Porsche). I have one such quote but would like a couple more for comparison.

Any pointers on companies prepared to do this (or companies that will do a combination of calssic and non classic cars on one policy)?

Thanks,

Tim
Albert Blue 72 2.4S (LHD)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

usually a classic policy doesn't use the no claims discount . Have you checked this is the case ? I'm with AON / FJ & this is the case with my policy

If it is, what happens if you transfer the no claims from your Porsche ( now that it is a 2nd car on a classic policy) .

For my daily drivers I use Direct Line. Competitve pricing & when I've needed to use them to make a claim they were fantastic ( couldn't recommend them enough )
Last edited by hot66 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911ts3
Married to the DDK

Post by 911ts3 »

For my two road cars (An A6 Avant and a 1.8T Golf Gti), I haven't been able to beat Marks and Spencer for the last two years, (and I really try every year) That's based on cover per £. Talk to them, they may transfer your NCB from the 911 to your road car) My classics are similar, they don't attract an NCB, it's just a rate based on your age, claims record, agreed value, excess, area, etc etc.
For the two 911's I've just renewed with Hagerty, and with a bit of tweaking, got both insured, at a combined agreed value of £49000, for £368 the pair.
Cheers
Steve
911ts3
Alfa Giulia Sprint GTA Rep, Lightweight GRP bodied car
1965 911 2.0 SWB Appendix K Rally Car, sold.
Alfa 105 Series GTA Rep
1973 911RS Lightweight Rep. sold
1972 911E 2.4 Gemini Blue sold
1970 911T 2.2 Sporto, owned twice, still missed.
drummerboytom

Post by drummerboytom »

just to echo the above :
I've never come across a Classic car policy that uses (or earns) any NCD .
If you have managed to find one that does then i'd suggest it's time to change brokers/insurers for your classic and use your NCD on your daily
drummerboytom
1970 914 / 6 Irish Green
1974 914 / 4 Giallo Fly ( yellow ! )
gone to a new DDK home - 1972 911 2.4T coupe with '73 2.4T CIS motor
gone to a new home - 1970 911 T Targa
Prattie
DDK addict

Insurance

Post by Prattie »

Just taken out new insurance as AON changed to Footman James and proved quite expensive.
Never had a NCD on any Classic policy.

Found Chaucer, through One Answer Brokers, Hailsham very good . Agreed value £30000 , 3000 miles , excesses about £275.00, 911E 1973 I'm 55 yrs of age, £160.00. Could have been cheaper about £147 but claimed a couple of time against my other car policy which they took into account.

Some brokers will utilise the same base companies like Chaucer but the Brokers themselves get discounts or pay into the policy by using their commissions.

Steve
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

Tim,
I used to have all my cars classic and modern, including my old Subaru Forester XT covered by Footman James.
They turned their nose up at the 911, probably the fact it was competition prepared did not help.
Because I belonged to the HRCR I found out about Richard Egger Insurance who did a family policy. They compete themselves and understand both classic and performance cars. I have full cover on all European Road events with the Porsche, and the Subaru STI and Z4 all covered . I saved a lot over FT.
Worth a try. Tel 0115 985 0165. I normally talk to Val Thompson.
Jerry
911 2.7 Carrera Rep
Regularity rally prepared (For sale)
Subaru Legacy Tourer
Timbob
DDK Fanatic

Post by Timbob »

Thanks guys all good info - I will let you know how I get on.
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

I used to use footman james but decided to look elsewhere after my girlfriend was messed around by them after someone crashed into the back of her car. I have recently started using Peter D James insurance who seem to do things the way footman james used to. This is probably down to the fact that the person behind the company is the same person who originally started and built up footman james before it was sold off to AON. I spoke to one of their reps and apparently he sold off footman james and retired then got bored and decided we wanted to start up another business again. I've had my 912 insured with them for the past year with no problems whatsoever, it cost me £176 fully comp classic insurance, unlimited mileage, (no NCB) agreed value, for a 32 year old.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Timbob
DDK Fanatic

Post by Timbob »

Thanks for the info guys. Been away hence slow reply. Ended up with directline for the Forrester and staying with Aon / FJ for the 911.