924 fuel tanks!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

papa elhoft
DDK Newbie

924 fuel tanks!

Post by papa elhoft »

Evening Folks
This is my second post. The first response was so good i'm back for more!!
I will need to replace the fuel tank on my 2.0l 924 lux later this year as the tin worm has fed on it making it dodgy to fill up with more than two thirds of a tank.
Will the tank from an 89 924s replace the old tank as a direct replacement? I know the 944 won't fit but not sure about the 924s - can anyone shed any light on the matter please?
Papa Elhoft
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI papa elhoft
the fuel tank part No' 477 291 021 F at (£1,352,20 + vat) is the same part No' for the 924s and the 944 up to 85 then the 944 changed to the plastic tank, so should fit, some breather pipes on the top of the tank changed, I would take the breathing system from the 924s just in case.

regards mike
papa elhoft
DDK Newbie

Post by papa elhoft »

Thanks Mike
My car is an 83 standard 924. The tank i have seen for sale second hand is from an 89 924s. It is a steel tank not a plastic one and is in very good condition. From what you say it appears it would fit - is it an easy job?
Thanks for the info on the valve clearences - worked a treat
Regards
Papa Elhoft
Papa Elhoft
904GTS
Married to the DDK

Post by 904GTS »

I'm pretty sure you have to remove the transmission to get the tank out, coincidentally while having a big shed clear out yesterday I came across a tank I took out of an 83 y-reg car a few years ago when it was stripped out for hillcimbing. I'll pm you with pictures later.

Barrie
www.904GTS.com
www.technic-motorsport.com

Factory built Safari 2.7 RS
Too many projects not enough time !
papa elhoft
DDK Newbie

Post by papa elhoft »

Yes the transmission needs to be dropped - already checked this out in various manuals etc. My only concern in trying to replace the existing tank with a 924s tank is if anything is positioned significantly differently and requires some re-fabrication. I did consider patching up the existing tank but having been witness to a tank igniting in the past - despite having been allegedly cleaned - i thought better of it!! Besides getting the tank out gives me chance to get busy with a tub of underseal in the bits you can't normally access. Look forward to seeing the pics
Cheers
Papa Elhoft
Papa Elhoft