A busy few weeks...............

Pictures and write ups of past motorsport meetings.

Moderator: Bootsy

jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

A busy few weeks...............

Post by jwhillracer »

After breaking the drive-shaft flange at Prescott - http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25714 , we were off to Shelsley Walsh for the Members and Classic meeting on 18/19th July. Just so that it wouldn't be toooo simple, we went via a family wedding in Portrush on the 13th :roll: . Many thanks to group4st for keeping the car and trailer for the week while we travelled :cheers: . Saturday went reasonably well, 5th in class on 32.80, just behind Andy Norris in his Supercharged 3.3litre 911 on 32.45, out of a class of 12. But it was the Sunday Classic meeting I was really looking forward to, with a class for pre 1980 Sports cars.
First practice went OK, but when I turned left and right out of the finish paddock, there was a large bang, and the back of the car jumped. It was perfectly all right all the way down the hill, but as soon as I turned into the bottom paddock, the same thing happened. Checking underneath, we suspected there was something severely amiss inside the ZF LSD. End of play, so we had a happy afternoon watching the others play in the rain :| .
We took the car back to Crispin at Oak Tree Garage on Sunday evening, and waited for the phone to ring. Crispin rang on Monday afternoon, "you need a dentist more than a mechanic........... :shock: " One tooth missing off each of the sun gears :cry:. And NLA from Porsche...............
But - first phone call to Mike Bainbridge in Kendal - one complete set of sun and planet gears - what a star!
As those in the know will already realise, Oak Tree Garage pioneered "just in time" long before the Japanese caught on, so on Friday morning we started to put the diff and gearbox back together, and into the car in time for the National Wiscombe on Saturday.

Saturday morning practice went reasonably well, starting very damp and slippery, and gradually drying through the day. By the time we had our 3rd practice, in the afternoon, the track was looking quite good, and so we were pressing rather harder..........

Perhaps rather too hard! :oops: Thanks (or not!) to Martin at magicmomentsphotography.co.uk for the photographic evidence :roll: Luckily I ended up with the rear bumper about 5" from the barrier below the marshal's post, facing back down Castle straight, and nothing more than the wing to pull out slightly, which will pass until the end of the season. :albino:
The timed runs on Sunday were rather more circumspect, but I did manage to win the class in front of Mr.Bun's "Orange Dog" 2.7RS replica, and a very quick pair of drivers in a 996.
Gary has already written and photographed our next meeting at Loton Park, which went well, finishing a solid last after the 600 bhp plus Audis, and 500bhp 5 litre V8 brigade :? .
Last week-end we were at Shelsley Walsh again for the August National, which was a fabulous event in glorious sunshine, with a big class of Modified Sports Cars, including the UK competition debut of the Aston Martin V12 Vantage which won its class in the Nurburgring 24hrs. Once again I finished mid-field on 32.90, just behind Andy Norris (again!) on 32.53, so I was happy to finish reasonably placed, and in one piece!

Thanks once again to Crispin, and to Mike Bainbridge for coming up with the parts.

Next stop Wiscombe again for the 5 Clubs meeting the first week-end in September.

Cheers! :drunken:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

jwhillracer - as seen on Motors TV :)

Mind you they were kind enough not to show your spin
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

I keep trying to convince myself I don't need Sky, but I find Mr. Murdoch inching his way into my wallet day by day................ :?
Especially a wet week-end at home with Hillclimbing and Cricket that I can't get :evil:

Must get a DVD from Brayspeed, then!

Cheers Mike,

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
abash914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by abash914 »

This brazen promotion for God's Own County, JW. You won't get your passport stamped any earlier, ya know.....
Should be there to cheer you @ Wiscombe. Especially after your RR session!!
ATB AA
Member # 323

914-4 KGV 25K
944 S2 G900 TGS
BMW 318 Touring - K9 Transport
MG ZT-T 260 SE V8.

BASS - the final frontier...