73T - Rear Polybronze Install / Sway-a-Way Spring Plates

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

73T - Rear Polybronze Install / Sway-a-Way Spring Plates

Post by Highfield »

Rather than add this information in to the existing thread I have for the reassembly of my rear suspension, I thought I would separate it out here, although I do understand it has been done many times before, but I wanted to document my progress. As always, if you see anything wrong here, please do say.

This is part one, as the JB Weld is now hardening, so the actual assembly will be early next week as I am now off to the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Firstly, the instructions received from Chuck Moreland with the bushings are excellent, and if you follow those, you should have no problems.

I spent as I always do far too long mulling over the instructions, test fitting pieces, measuring and generally assuring myself that I was ready to start and had what I needed to hand.

I had purchased the JB Weld on Ebay, and it proved to be easy to work with, so no concerns there.

First thing to do was to identify the inner and outer bearings, clearly marked with an 'I' and an 'O'.

Then separate the sleeve from the bushing and trail fit - this showed up a couple of ridges that needed to be filed first before committing to the JB Weld process.

Mix equal length strips together and use a piece of wood dowel (pencil) or card to smear the mixture over the spring plate and the inside of the sleeve.

Note I drew a line around the sleeve so as not to get the mixture where I didn't want it, and made my cardboard spatula the correct thickness to avoid getting mixture where is wasn't wanted. It is also important to ensure no mixture gets on to the outside of the sleeve.

Then slip the sleeve over the spring plate (with a turning motion) and clean away any excess mixture.

Repeat for all four sleeves and set aside to dry overnight.

Next up is the fitting of the bushings in to the spring plate covers.

Although Chuck recommends a press with 75 - 150lbs, I found that on this very hot day, with soap and water I was able to press fit with my hands and a simple G-clamp, being careful not to damage any surfaces in doing so. Note the orientation of the grease nipple.

Then I moved outside to fit the bushings to the car.

Ian
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
Highfield

Post by Highfield »

Chuck's instructions are clear that you may need to remove any 'slag weld' from the mating surface to fit the bushings cleanly.

So out with the grinder and flatten imperfections - not a totally flat surface, but better than it was and quickly painted to avoid future rust issues.

The busihing is then soaked in soap and water and push fitted.

A piece of wood is then clamped between the bushing and the cover plate using the cover plate bolts and washers - tighten evenly to push the bushing in to the final position.

That is all until the JB Weld hardens and the supplied washers can be used to calibrate to the spring plate and give it the correct lateral movement.

I will then return to the original rear suspension reassembly thread.

Ian
Ian Highfield
oliveR
DDK forever

Post by oliveR »

perfect Ian ! :wink:
Highfield

Post by Highfield »

oliveR

Do you have a picture, or can you answer this.

Does the spring plate mount with the adjuster screw coming up from underneath as I do not have installation instructions ?

Do you know where I can get a cover to go over the end of the torsion bar tube - pink I believe ?

Ian
Ian Highfield
oliveR
DDK forever

Post by oliveR »

Ian,
some pics

Highfield

Post by Highfield »

Thanks oliveR

Any idea where I can get the pink covers from ?

Ian
Ian Highfield
Highfield

Post by Highfield »

I test fitted the spring plates and covers without any torsion bars fitted, as instructed by Chuck Moreland.

I started with three washers but that bound the plate tight. I ended up needing 5 washers under each bolt, but at that the plate moves without any force and has a little lateral movement.

The only problem is having used 20 of the 32 washers, I will probably have to buy more if the other side needs as many as you only get 32 supplied :-(

I have now fitted the rear suspension with the torsion bars and will return to the original rear suspension article for pictures and writeup.

Ian
Ian Highfield
targa/red
DDK slapper chatter

rear suspension

Post by targa/red »

Ian
Great pictures, what the cost of these parts and where best to get them from
Highfield

Post by Highfield »

They are not cheap :-) but they are good if you review the various web forums.

I exchanged some parts for mine, but I know you can get them from Kroggers (Cool Cava) and direct from ER or Pelican. There are no doubt others in UK / Europe.

oliveR - do you have a picture of the other side of the spring plate once installed, as I cannot work out how the eccentric camber and toe bolts go. Also, do the bolts that mount the plates to the arm go through from inside the car or from the outside ?

Sorry for so many questions. I have test fitted and needed 5 washers from ER under the torsion cover.

Ian
Ian Highfield