i have a misfire ?

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

rustyghia
DDK Seasoned Poster

i have a misfire ?

Post by rustyghia »

hi all, i went away on holiday for a week and when i started the car today it started with a loud back fire and since it has been missing, the car was started and moved out of the workshop it stays in while i was away and apparently it started with no problems, anyone got any ideas of where to start looking? it has an electronic ignition and new leads etc , thanks in advance, dean.
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

leads, cap, plugs, contact breaker, blocked jet
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Hole / leak in the exhaust? Mine had a terrible backfire until i solved that issue.
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
rustyghia
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by rustyghia »

cheers, ignition system is all new, i was thinking probably a blocked jet, I'm going to run through it all tonight, thanks for the replies I'll let you know what i find, cheers, dean.
rustyghia
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by rustyghia »

hi all, quick update, i have removed all the plugs and checked the gaps and made sure they were all tightened down nicely, i then checked the leads one by one and the problem is still there, its like its running on three cylinders. i changed out the fuel filter as that was dirty and im going to move on to the jets next although it really doesn't sound like a blocked jet. the distributor is a rsr 0012 with pertronix which is all fairly new,i have been thinking about changing it back to points to see if i have a fault there (does anyone think its worth doing this ?) the carbs have been rebuilt a couple of thousand miles ago(solexs)so i am begining to worry that i have a deeper problem with a burnt or sticking valve is this common ? :cry:
chickybok
DDK Fanatic

Post by chickybok »

Have you checked the valve gaps?
rustyghia
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by rustyghia »

hi, its running fine now, it has a facet electric fuel pump fitted as a sort of back up, the misfire was getting slowly worse so i bypassed the mechanical pump and hooked the power back up on the electric pump and hey presto back to normal :lol: happy days, thanks for the replies, dean.