Tyres for regularity rally car

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Tyres for regularity rally car

Post by Histrally »

I have recently acquired a Porsche 911 for use as a regularity rally car.
(Going to be a bit different to the MG Midget I ran previously!!)
MSA events only allow the use of 6J rims for road based events and the minimum allowable profile is 70.
I have been searching around for available tyres which has thrown up few possibilities. Most running is on the road but with special tests which may be on airfields, forest tracks etc.
The car will be driven to events unlike the Midget.
I know there has been some issues with the lack of available tyres in 70 profile. It would need to be a size between 185 and 205.
Are there any other members competing and what tyres are you using?
Jerry
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Have you looked at Avon CR6ZZ tyres ?

They're available in 185/70 x 15"
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

Andy, Yes I did. I don't think they would stand up to well to a regulairty test on a forest track. I used to have Dunlop D83J's as a tarmac stage tyre on my Midget. Similar to the Avon's but they only lasted limited mileage!!! I used Colways on the Midget for road rallying which despite everything you may think were an ideal choice and gave good performance. A standard road tyre would be OK if I can find the right size.
Jerry
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Paul Wignall seems to use either Maxsport or Colway gravel tyres on his 911, 185/70s if I recall from last year's Circuit of Ireland Retro.

We have also used 15 inch Kumho gravel tyres on a TVR, 195/70, and they were very grippy on lose and acceptable on concrete or tar, but are pricey.

Vredestein Snowtracs have seem to be another popular choice there is a 195/70 available. Obviously these would be more durable than the fully competition gravel tyre.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

Well after lots of searching I have decided to obtain some Vredstein Sprint Classics. It seems they are only sold through Vintage Tyres. I contacted Vredstein who were not exactly helpful. My local dealer has managed to order some through Vintage Tyres and should be here next week. Getting close to first event and they will need bedded in before the event. All I need now is for the DVLA to find my log book which they claim not to have received!!
Jerry