David and Goliath

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Disco
DDK rules my life!

David and Goliath

Post by Disco »

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

so who can name the 9 VW brands...
VW
Skoda
er...
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Seat
erm...
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Skoda, VW, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Seat, DKW, Wanderer, Horch (latter three not active just like BMW still has the rights to "Riley" etc) :?:

;)

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
oldtimer
DDK forever

Post by oldtimer »

More to the point , how have Porsche run up an enormous debt in the billions as referred to in this news article ? Thought they were the most profitable car maker ?
McDArcy
DDK Fanatic

Post by McDArcy »

Bugatti....... :alien:
‘61 Silver 356B T5
'63 Bali Blue 356B T6
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

oldtimer wrote:More to the point , how have Porsche run up an enormous debt in the billions as referred to in this news article ? Thought they were the most profitable car maker ?
Just what I was wondering. The funds they raised on VW stock ran to billions. Wondering if the BBC article is off the mark or if there is a further twist to the story. The whole thing is a compelling soap for petrol heads and financiers alike.
Keith
seawise
DDK above all

Post by seawise »

easy 8 - volkswagen, audi, skoda, seat, bentley, bugatti, lamborgini and porsche - not sure on the 9th
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

seawise wrote:easy 8 - volkswagen, audi, skoda, seat, bentley, bugatti, lamborgini and porsche - not sure on the 9th
they don't own Porsche - Porsche own them! :wink:
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

Interesting story this - it's been in the FT quite a bit over last month. From one article last week...

"Porsche has reaped huge profits in the past years from controversial VW option trades. It made €6.8bn, more than double its revenue, from its VW takeover in the past six months alone. However, analysts said most of these profits were paper gains and could not be easily converted into cash. "

"By agreeing to a merger, Porsche and its family shareholders have implicitly admitted that, with debts mounting, they overreached themselves by trying to acquire a much larger company."

Hey ho!
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
Timbob
DDK Fanatic

Post by Timbob »

Have to admit not being neutral on this as it has cost me money BUT, Porsche in my view are having their comeuppance.

A lot (almost all) of the recent "profits" were paper profits on shares and options they held in VW. The price of VW was being driven up by speculation of a takeover by Porsche, causing more "profits" for Porsche. (see the circular logic / loop?)

In the process they bought a lot of VW shares at inflated prices which are now debt financed. Porsche's balance sheet is thus extremely stretched and they will need a capital injection to repay at least some of this debt. (See http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/c ... l+business )

Wiedeking (Porsche CEO) once boasted that he had such a clever CFO (FD) he could make lots of money without even selling cars. (And he did for years by speculating on the Dollar / Euro exchange rate.) He then concocted this grand takeover plan with VW but I think he has overreached himself this time.

Not clear how it will all pan out but the Porsche brand will be owned by VW, and Porsche are in major debt (without enough cashflow to service it).

Like I said I am biased, but thats my view on the subject!
Albert Blue 72 2.4S (LHD)
seawise
DDK above all

Post by seawise »

Timbob wrote:Have to admit not being neutral on this as it has cost me money BUT, Porsche in my view are having their comeuppance.

A lot (almost all) of the recent "profits" were paper profits on shares and options they held in VW. The price of VW was being driven up by speculation of a takeover by Porsche, causing more "profits" for Porsche. (see the circular logic / loop?)

In the process they bought a lot of VW shares at inflated prices which are now debt financed. Porsche's balance sheet is thus extremely stretched and they will need a capital injection to repay at least some of this debt. (See http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/c ... l+business )

Wiedeking (Porsche CEO) once boasted that he had such a clever CFO (FD) he could make lots of money without even selling cars. (And he did for years by speculating on the Dollar / Euro exchange rate.) He then concocted this grand takeover plan with VW but I think he has overreached himself this time.

Not clear how it will all pan out but the Porsche brand will be owned by VW, and Porsche are in major debt (without enough cashflow to service it).

Like I said I am biased, but thats my view on the subject!
nicely summed up - yes they have got egg on their face now. they have lost focus of their core business, overstretched themselves with creative accountancy and now the tale has almost come to an end with Wiedeking and his CFO looking rather foolish.
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

My God, this is all starting to sound like an Enron style debarcle :shock:
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.