Carburetor Watershield Kit

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

sdelan
DDK forever

Carburetor Watershield Kit

Post by sdelan »

Evening All -
I wondered about fitting a set of these Watershield/Air Filters to my 2.2T at some point in the future - I think they look pretty good but wondered if they effect performance/operation or carburation etc in anyway?

How should the breathers from the oil tank (??) and engine be modified/adapted as these both attach to the standard airbox/filter. (Hope that makes sense!)

Thanks in advance
SD

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/sma ... at%20Carbs
1970 RHD Porsche 911T - Sold
1988 RHD Porsche 911 Carrera - Sold
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

I have these on my 914-6. They seem very noisy to me (but then I never fitted the stock airbox) so I can't comment on the performance either. I bought mine from Pelican and it comes with a breather pipe kit but I thought this was a bit naff so routed the breather pipe to a dedicated puke tank.
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
Rich Lambert
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Rich Lambert »

The Pelican vent hose arrangement leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion. I saw some pictures of a 911TR that used an early washer bottle as a puke tank. If it's good enough for a factory race car, it's good enough for me. Here's the set up on the 2.2T motor in my '66.

Rich
'66 911 #303872
Rickard M
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rickard M »

I lite curious, is there some sort of drain or ventilation of the puke tank?
1971 911T
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Rich Lambert wrote:The Pelican vent hose arrangement leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion. I saw some pictures of a 911TR that used an early washer bottle as a puke tank. If it's good enough for a factory race car, it's good enough for me. Here's the set up on the 2.2T motor in my '66.

that really is a super clean engine... love it!
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Love the springs on the wing nuts to stop them unscrewing.
Class attention to detail. (must steal the idea) :drunken:
red67
DDK above all

Post by red67 »

for the breather, some people just get a filter (and if the car is not used on a track and is just a regular driver) then an air filter that fits on to the end of the breather hose does the job. i did this for nearly a year and it was fine. k+n make them.

one can also buy a catch tank with a turnable valve at the base for emptying and a filter at the top... i think it's over the top and unnecessary for a non track car unless you overfill the oil of course.... there's a good thread here to see...
http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/ ... air+filter

i found watersheilds fun at first but noisy and annoying after some months (particularly on long journeys).
i switched back to stock filter and stock housing after getting irritated.
some people don't like those k+n watersheilds (wayne on pelican parts for example) suggesting they let more dirt into the carbs than the stock filter on the stock housing.
don't know if its true or not, but i had a series of dirty carb related problems after the k+n's came onto my scene.
i'm sure others have different experiences from my own.

hope that helps somehow.
Paul

'76 911 S coupe
'69 911 coupe
'73 911 targa
'67 911 coupe
Rich Lambert
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Rich Lambert »

I had one of the fancy catch cans with the filter on top and the drain valve on the bottom. You're right, it was not neccessay for a street car. After 6 months of driving, there was about an inch of oily water in there.

As far as the noise, I can barely hear the Weber sucking sound over my muffler. I'll find out just how annoying it is, come the end of April, when I do a 2500mi round trip from Seattle to Cambria and back. I'm bringing ear plugs.
Rich
'66 911 #303872
sdelan
DDK forever

Carburettor Watershields

Post by sdelan »

Evening All - thanks for all the useful information and assistance.

Can these Watershield Kits be bought in the UK or are they only sourced from Pelican Parts ?

Thanks in advance

Sean
1970 RHD Porsche 911T - Sold
1988 RHD Porsche 911 Carrera - Sold