floor pan paint?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

turbo thomas
DDK Fanatic

floor pan paint?

Post by turbo thomas »

hi guys,

im looking at at re-doing the interior metal work inside my 912. what do people suggest i paint it with?

i keep seeing referals to por 15. is this what i should be using?

grateful of any help...

cheers

richie
1966 hotrod 912

same theory, different approach
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

I used silver smoothrite, but then I've never been too fussed about cosmetics on bits you can't see 8)
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Hey Rich

POR 15 is good stuff.

Think about the only place that sells it at reasonably cost is Frosts

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp? ... t=POR%2D15

Its tough stuff that goes well on a rusty surface, I've used on the undersode of mine in places and its still stuck on with no rust coming through.

Don't get it on your hands.

Hope all is well and look forward to seeing the motor. What engine have you got for it now?
turbo thomas
DDK Fanatic

Post by turbo thomas »

Gary71 wrote:I used silver smoothrite, but then I've never been too fussed about cosmetics on bits you can't see 8)
thanks gary

it currently has smoothrite on it. its coming off in places which is why i wante dto sort it once and for all before an interior goes in. may just clean up and re-do in smoothrite, as you say it'll never be seen...
1966 hotrod 912

turbo thomas
DDK Fanatic

Post by turbo thomas »

Nige wrote:Hey Rich

POR 15 is good stuff.

Think about the only place that sells it at reasonably cost is Frosts

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp? ... t=POR%2D15

Its tough stuff that goes well on a rusty surface, I've used on the undersode of mine in places and its still stuck on with no rust coming through.

Don't get it on your hands.

Hope all is well and look forward to seeing the motor. What engine have you got for it now?
hey nige,

ive been on frosts today. think i may do the underside in por 15 and re-do the inside with smoothrite...

ive got a 2276 t1 motor being put together, porsche cooling etc. will have ida's (for now) and i guess i'll cobble an exhaust together for it!!

everythings good here dude... hope all is well your end...

have to have a catch up soon
1966 hotrod 912

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

if you're not too bothered about originality, there is a place in rugby that builds monster trucks (yes really! :shock: ) who sell some boat paint stuff which is rubberised and creates a really solid layer and waterproofs at the same time!.. Its available in lots of colours, and I painted the cills, underside of the floorpans and inside the wheelarches on my MG with black and inside the boot/inside the floorpans with white (the car is white) a few years ago.. its still all on there, and in really good nick!

i know someone who uses it on his narrow boat.. painted it on the hull about 5 years ago, and pulls the boat out of the water every year since to repaint.. never actually needed to repaint it, but pulls it out every year to check just incase!!.. the paint seems really strong, hard and waterproof, but you do need to get a good surface to paint onto, so maybe use POR as an undercoat first that will also kill the rust, and ensure everything is well dried before painting to avoid trapping in any moisture
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

smallspeed wrote:there is a place in rugby that builds monster trucks (yes really! :shock: )
I've been there! It's tucked-away on a trading estate amongst double-glazing manufacturers and builders merchants. A weird-as-hell place.
'68 912
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

yeah its hillarious!.. I went to buy some paint, and wondered if i was ever going to get out alive (its all a bit "league of gentlemen" )
fortunaltey they were using some of our axles on one of their trucks so i was able to tell them where they could get some spares, and while they were bowing down to me I legged it :lol:
popcorn
DDK Fanatic

Post by popcorn »

Rust bullet :wink:

I used it under my splitty - amazing stuff, dries hard as nails. Just don't get it on your skin - cos you can't get it off!! :shock:

I read a long comparison thread on The Samba, testing POR15, rust bullet and some others.....nothing much between POR15 and RB, but POR15 needs more prep and/or their special primer for new metal.
Barry Wolk
DDK Fanatic

Post by Barry Wolk »

I use POR-15 on everything. :)

It doesn't like smooth metal at all. It doesn't like to be painted over. It loves rust that's been neutralized. It sticks to sandblasted metal like a magnet.

Like the labels says, "Wear gloves, the only thing that takes it off is time."

I swear at it, and by it.
guy_spyder550
DDK Fanatic

Post by guy_spyder550 »

I like Rust Bullet myself, sticks like sh*t to a blanket. Comes in silver and now black. I made the mistake of getting it on my hands and wouldn't come off for a week :(

http://www.rustbulletuk.com