911 S at Coys

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

.... Its not even 28 in your hand, when you think about the cut that Coys make.

Perhaps its the same as estate agents - people think they've got a million pound house only to find it valued at 750... And then get offers at 715...

Whilst there are still fools with lots of money out there, there are far fewer. I went to see a lovely car yesterday, really nicely set up, drove beautifully. Had some rust coming through on the RHS kidney bowl that looked like it was going to get nasty if it wasn't fixed, and a couple of minor blemishes and a couple of paint drips here and there, but all round a good car.

Now, the original owner had failed to sell at 34, so it came down to 32 for a while but it has now been sold to a garage who have put it back up to 34! - there's no warranty other than the word of the salesman that they'd put normal wear and tear right should something go wrong - which, from experience can be a bit wishy washy, so with this in mind, on the basis that it was the same as buying from Joe public, I put in a cheeky offer... About 2k ish below what I thought the car to be worth.... Chap wouldn't budge from the full asking price. Maybe -I've got it all wrong, but I generally don't pay the full price of anything, - there's always a margin to be cut somewhere... Admittedly both parties need to feel that a deal is a good one... But a deal all the same.

- am I completely missing the point? -

I can see why the LHD market is so strong, with the weakness of the pound against virtually any other currency except old Mugabee's but the RHD ones -I've seen recently (except the infamous blood orange one ! )on various websites, don't seem to have sold...for Months and months - But prices aren't coming down.- ?

Anyone know why!?!
Spydermon
Married to the DDK

Post by Spydermon »

OT But,
Disco Wrote;
am I completely missing the point? -

I can see why the LHD market is so strong, with the weakness of the pound against virtually any other currency except old Mugabee's but the RHD ones -I've seen recently (except the infamous blood orange one ! )on various websites, don't seem to have sold...for Months and months - But prices aren't coming down.- ?

Anyone know why!?!
You are absolutely right about the RHD cars, I'm still waiting, and a few of the cars you have mentioned have gone up in price! In one case, considerably. I have only been watching for a year and a bit now, but watching I have been! The ones that don't move disappear, only to re-appear somewhere else, often with a higher tag.
911's, especially the higher value cars, are often owned by people that don't have to sell them, even in these times, or the dealer has bought them in...whatever the situation they don't want to budge on price. I have walked three times now, and that is after the "Well come back with an offer that you are comfortable with.." spiel, which I did, but it made no difference, same situation as you.
There is one car that a year ago wasn't as sorted as it is now, that I really love, and it is being offered at 25k more...... :roll: I thought the original price was too much, so I have to negotiate that off, and more... :roll: I have been told, just buy it, you only live once..etc. But I also know that the owner bought into it when these cars were at their last low, so why can't I have some of that?

It's almost as if it's not British too expect the classic 911 market to behave like any other (and the modern 911 market) car market, a sort of "get that pikey out of my showroom, he doesn't want to play the game!" feeling, that I have to admit is pushing me away a little by the day.

A long spiel Disco, sorry, to finish, I agree with you.

Best.
Steve. :)
DIRKBROWNFINGER
DDK forever

Post by DIRKBROWNFINGER »

I am guessing the vendor has had the car up for a while with no takers. Coys trawl the web for cars they fancy, and then pitch the sellers. If the estimate is 28-36, then I would assume the reserve will be bang in the middle at 32. You can set the reserve net or gross. If the seller has signed the binding contact to put the car up for auction, and then doesnt put it through - he will still be liable for the commision on the reserve ie 10% of 32k. If someone in the meantime wants to buy it through pistonheads at the higher price, then he has the choice of paying the commision to Coys, or directing the purchaser to the auction. Commision for sellers is negotiable 6-10% at this sort of value, and 10% for buyers.

I sold my Cobra replica through Coys last year, and they tend to set the reserve a little on the low side to encourage interest and potential bidders.

As the say, you only need two people in the room who like the car....

Dirk.
DIRK BROWNFINGER.
1970 911 S TARGA LHD.
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

I must admit that I would have expected things to have slowed but a quick scan of the early 911 cars for sale on DDK shows that the majority have been sold on and in a relatively short time frame. It probably will slow down and just about the time I put one of my cars up for sale later this year knowing my luck !! :roll: :roll:
Keith
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

IMO - other than Jamies, there havent been many RHD 911 cars sold recently ( last 6 months or so ) on this forum - apologies if this is an incorrect statement and am happy to be proved wrong -

... but I do agree with you that the market is still strong and in fact, as we move towards the summer, will probably improve further - depending upon stock levels, which for RHD are pretty thin on the ground at the moment.