Three Castles rally - any good for total novices?!?

Chitter chatter about Porsche Motorsport -race meets, hillclims etc.

Moderator: Bootsy

sjm
DDK rules my life!

Three Castles rally - any good for total novices?!?

Post by sjm »

Hi all. I would like to do a rally in my 356A next year, however, I have never ever done anything like this before, and nor has my navigator. Has anyone out there got any experience of classic rallying at all and able to give advice please?

I've had a look at the list of entries so far and there are plenty of 911's but no 356's - so would the car be struggling a bit? Should I consider something a bit milder?!?

I'm not expecting to win a first event, I just like the idea of doing an event with like minded people, but by the same token I don't want to jump in at the deep end and struggle like a numpty... :oops:

Any ideas - polite preferably, but all considered! :wink:
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
elkelk
Married to the DDK

Post by elkelk »

My advice is do it, but be quick as they have a record entry and only 10 spaces left according to the website.

I was a novice last year (as was my navigator) we had a great time and i am entered for 2009.

As for the car, due to the structure of the points system, any car can win, regardless of outright pace. There are plenty of slower older cars than your 356 on the event. Additionally, it is a tarmac rally, so no rally-mods (save for a tripmeter and a fire extinguisher) are necessary.

Above all, the event is great fun, and the organisation and value for money is very high.

rgds Gavin
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

Thanks Gavin - good to hear from another novice! What car are you doing it in?
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Any complete novice should get themselves down to their local motor club and investigate the 12 Car rally scene. Usually run over winter months, Typically 50 to 70 miles, 2 to 3 hours in an evening. Starting and finishing in a pub. Small evening events suited to the wife's shopping car (You don't have to tell her !!) timed at 30 mph, so not fast, but aimed at giving driver and navigator an introduction to rallying. Dont think that at that speed it won't be fun.... if you sped 50% of the time plotting the route, you'll be going twice as fast to make up the average !!
Loughborough Car club run these up near me, I've organised the odd one in the past. Competitors will run anything from the works van to rep-mobiles and 4x4's as well as shopping cars.
Cheers
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

impmad2000 wrote:Any complete novice should get themselves down to their local motor club and investigate the 12 Car rally scene. Usually run over winter months, Typically 50 to 70 miles, 2 to 3 hours in an evening. Starting and finishing in a pub. Small evening events suited to the wife's shopping car (You don't have to tell her !!) timed at 30 mph, so not fast, but aimed at giving driver and navigator an introduction to rallying. Dont think that at that speed it won't be fun.... if you sped 50% of the time plotting the route, you'll be going twice as fast to make up the average !!
Loughborough Car club run these up near me, I've organised the odd one in the past. Competitors will run anything from the works van to rep-mobiles and 4x4's as well as shopping cars.
Cheers
Tim
Tim, hows about running a short (fun) one for DDK. :P
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
elkelk
Married to the DDK

Post by elkelk »

sjm wrote:Thanks Gavin - good to hear from another novice! What car are you doing it in?

I will be doing it in my RS again, see you there i hope!
rafiki
DDK addict

Post by rafiki »

I know this is a bit late, but:

The Three Castles is an excellent event run over three days in wet Wales. It is made up of regularity sections as well as tests on private land. A good introduction for novices...but the experts amongst the entry will always be of help.

Have I done it? No, it's quite expensive.

I tend to stick with the HRCR events...more competitive and licences are needed...for both crew members. MSA regulations vis the 'Blue Book' are also checked. (See www.hrcr.co.uk for details of all their competitive and non-competitive events.)

But...I'm off to compete on the Poppy Rally around Ypres next month. Great roads and great atmosphere...with Police who 'close' certain sections of the route, especially junctions!
1966 912 SWB Coupe
2007 KIA Cee'd

Macmillan Supporter? Look at www.maccapers.co.uk for our way of supporting Macmillan Cancer Support.
drummerboytom

Post by drummerboytom »

rafiki wrote: But...I'm off to compete on the Poppy Rally around Ypres next month. Great roads and great atmosphere...with Police who 'close' certain sections of the route, especially junctions!
Any more details on that ?
drummerboytom
1970 914 / 6 Irish Green
1974 914 / 4 Giallo Fly ( yellow ! )
gone to a new DDK home - 1972 911 2.4T coupe with '73 2.4T CIS motor
gone to a new home - 1970 911 T Targa
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

drummerboytom wrote:
rafiki wrote: But...I'm off to compete on the Poppy Rally around Ypres next month. Great roads and great atmosphere...with Police who 'close' certain sections of the route, especially junctions!
Any more details on that ?
Here Tom:-

http://www.classicrally.org.uk/poppy2009/index.html
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
rafiki
DDK addict

Post by rafiki »

You'll have to be quick, there are already 56 entries...

Updated 26 Feb.

Supplementary Regulations now out. Closing date for entries is now 6 March...so you have time to get your name down.

Good luck.
1966 912 SWB Coupe
2007 KIA Cee'd

Macmillan Supporter? Look at www.maccapers.co.uk for our way of supporting Macmillan Cancer Support.