1965 Porsche 911 - Help, knowledge req'd!

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

marineboy
DDK Seasoned Poster

1965 Porsche 911 - Help, knowledge req'd!

Post by marineboy »

Hi DDKer's

I have found a 1965 Porsche 911 and am going to view it this week. It appears to be complete with the exception of a missing engine and wheels (has cookie cutters). The VIN starts with 3012 which as confirmed by hot66 confirms the model and year. The car would need complete stripping and rebuilding and I would imagine lots of welding in between.

Any ideas on the price range for this year of car?

Where will I find the VIN, is there more than one location, should it be hand stamped or machine stamped?

Are there any special option I should look for if any were offred back then?

What are the more expensive and hard to find parts I should check are not missing?

Where should I look for rust, I am assumming everywhere for a car this age but if there are any usual specific areas where are they.

Any help would be welcome as I would like to go armed with a bit more knowledge than I have now which is next to nothing.
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

not sure about parts but how much are you going to be paying ?

this one has been on the market for ages... months, ( I reckon coming up to 6 )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1970-Porsche-911- ... 240%3A1318

it seems similar to yours from your brief description - except the age and type (so, not much then - lol) its been the same price for ages.... £15,500.00 - might help you in your negotiations....
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Completely depends on the condition of the car structurally.

Being a 65 makes it desirable - also opens up the market with the eligibility of early rallying etc.

The missing engine will mean you'll never realise top premium if restored.

This is all insignificant if the cars shot and is uneconomical to restore.

Can you get any pictures for us to take a look at?
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
LGK6D
DDK above all

Post by LGK6D »

Chassis number 3012?? means it's a late April early May production 65. There are a lot of specific things about the body which you'll want to check, a lot of early cars are being re-bodied using other SWB cars or 912's. The chassis number will be stamped into the main trunk panel on the left hand side (above the riveted ID tag). The second check to make (if the owner will let you) is to remove the knee pad on the dash. The same chassis number will be stamped in the centre (Hopefully!). While you're checking the chassis number under the bonnet, look at the top strut mountings. They should be non adjustable and look very hand made. The front wings should have four mounting screws holding the horn grills on, which are chrome brass. Another check to see if the wings are the originals is to remove the headlight and look for the last three digits stamped into the headlight bucket. If you're really lucky the last three digits of the chassis number will be on all the panels. There are a lot of tells to know if the body has been changed which the people re-bodying always miss. Feel free to PM/Email over some pics if you want.

It depends on how original you want the car to be as a lot of the really small stuff is a nightmare (Read expensive) to replace if it's missing, things like badging, the wooden dash, ignition key bezel, door handles, winders, so if the car has been updated it'll be a lot of work to put it right. The missing engine is a shame, but there is a fairly complete looking engine in the classifieds with Solex's etc.

The really important rusty areas to check are battery tray, fuel tank supporting panel (all the way around), front suspension mounting, floor, inner and outer sills, jacking points, kidney bowls, all around the rear torsion tube, everywhere a normal 911 rusts I guess.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers
David
jpinhorn
DDK Fanatic

Post by jpinhorn »

If you get it and want an engine the I have one for sale. It is the correct one for that year.On ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-911-Engin ... 240%3A1318
kenikh
DDK Fanatic

Post by kenikh »

David pretty much covered it. Some other details:

VIN in grease marker under dash pad.
A car this early should have early door handled with indented thumb buttons (later '66 cars had "outie" buttons)
This car will require a Solex/center lube motor and rebulding them is tough going since center lube cam seals are brutally hard to find.
Wipers should be silver and parked to the right - if later style, the originals are now very expensive (over 100 pounds if you can find them)
A car this early should have the numbers on the panels - my car being built in October '65 didn't, but am not sure what the dividing line is on date.
The small hole brass ignition bezel is impossible to find - you will probably have to have it made if missing.

Always happy to answer any questions that come up.
Kenik

>1969 911S
>1965 911
marineboy
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by marineboy »

Thank you very much for your help with this one. As I have recently only just bought a 89 930 Turbo which needs my attention I threw caution to the wind and let this one go.

For any of you that are brave enough I thought I may as well post a link.
It maybe a bit of trek for most of you to view the car as it's in northern Italy about 30mins drive from Bologna. BA do 3 flights a day from Gatwick so a trip there and back can be done in a day.

See below link for details,

http://www.subito.it/porsche-911-del-65 ... 218371.htm

As my Italian is about the level of a 2yr old I am afraid your own your own, good luck and if anyone does go for it let me know.

Stephen
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Andrea is the man to contact. He offered his help in contacting the owner on another forum for anyone interested.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/ ... t=1965+911

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/