legal people please? planning permission question

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

porker914
DDK forever

legal people please? planning permission question

Post by porker914 »

I need some legal advice regarding planning permission regarding a neighbour of mine who has a bloody great steam engine and carrage in there driveway!

Do you need planning permission to park a steam engine in a residential driveway?

david
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

depends on where you live, whats written in the deeds of the property and also what the local council thinks.

for example where i live we are not allowed to keep any sort of farm animals and not allowed to keep caravans or boats, or run a business from the property.

write to your local council and ask, if it helps then include some photos to illistrate what your talking about.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

TTIUWP!!!!!
KS

Post by KS »

As Helen says, but two things to remember: you do have a right to light, but you do not have a right to a view.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
40 scout
DDK rules my life!

Post by 40 scout »

Don't think the planners will be inerested! Legal nightmare to enforce anything on someone else deeds - how about a nice bamboo screen - I recommend Spectablis - goes 20' no probs. - or hotwire it and hide it!
'72 911T - 212 BHP 2.7, on PMO's
'62 RHD T6 B outlaw
'71 Alfa GT Veloce 2000

1929 Indian 101 'bobber' project.
'40 Indian Sport Scout bobber
VW T5
!920's Racing Cycle
1920's Premier cycle
A few vintage Heuers

Member No 381
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

anyone know how to drive a steam engine? i have the match to start the bloody thing oh and not far from the sea so have somewhere to hide it.

david
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold
Barry

Post by Barry »

Any pictures? (Not for some weird planning loophole, but because I wondered what you view is :wink: ).

On the bright side, it's more orginal than having trouble with next-doors leylandii :roll: .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Are we talking Steam roller, traction engine, or railway locomotive? I would have thought that he would have as much right as you to have a road-going vehicle in his driveway, and there is probably absolutely no ruling for the likes of Railway rolling stock, since the planners probably never thought of that one! :roll:
It would be a nice touch if his garden was built on a derelict branch line. 8)

A bit like the guy near here who used to have a Lightning fighter parked on his front lawn :shock:

Cheers! :drunken:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
Simon Rudge
DDK forever

Post by Simon Rudge »

Go and talk to your local planning officer, at the District Council. They will always have a duty officer for drop in visits but you will get a better response by making an appointment.

If it is a road going vehicle, you have a problem, it's the same as your car. The railway carriage may be easier, depending on the size of it, it may be over the size permitted for icreased development within his propery. It may however be classed as a temporary structure, which is very difficult to deal with.

If it classed as a caravan, there may well be a covenent or other entry in the property deeds that could be useful, many properties are prevented from having them on the property(early control of pikeys).

Not sure if helps. If all else fails, next time he sparks up the steam engine, torch the carriage, them show the dodgy phone video of the sparks travelling from one to other, or just give the local environmental health office a ring.

Cheers
Simon

1970 911T (with E motor)
1978 Moto Guzzi 850T3
daily whatever parts chaser.
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

In the freehold lease of my property it states no caravans or comercial vehicles. But one of the properties is rented to a builder who has a nice red van parked outside my house. couple this with the fact that the allocated parking allows him 1 parking space, but he has a red van, a polo and a motor bike - ( ie 3 spaces ), really gets my goat.

to top that I even get random people parking in my drive! - you go out and speak to them and they say things like - "oh I'm visiting XXX who lives 2 doors down!, who doesnt have parking so, you know, I didnt think you'd mind.... " - I'm anything but a mild man and this sort of logic infuriates me..!

nothing I seem to say - or do - makes a difference. Best thing you can do I reckon is screen it and call him an ar*e every time you can. - least its not blocking you from getting in or out of your garage, alternatively walk around the neighbourhood and collect up all the dog pooh you can and throw it at it... messy but satisfying.
Bladesman
DDK addict

Post by Bladesman »

FWIW the planning aspect is probably a non-starter.

However, if the steam/soot etc drifted into your garden every time he started the engine there may be an action in private nuisance - the remedy is damages and/or an injunction to prevent the nuisance.

The downside is that such cases are expensive to run.

An alternative solution would be to try and get the local environmental health on side to serve an abatement notice for excessive noise/smells/fumes