ebay 911 E

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

its turning out to be quite a good thread.

I agree with you, that Alan.UK is a good bet, in fact I have spoken to him a number of times, but the recent cars he has are LHD. The green one for example - I'd be all over it - but again a LHD. - and my personal preference is RHD.

Anyway, I also agree that this advert looks a bit dubious. the chap doesnt seem to want to upload any pictures of the interior and or any other angle of the car, which, he blames on being too busy. being too busy is a bit of a lame excuse... you know... "yeah sorry love I've been too busy to call" often translates to " I dont fancy you and I think you are a bunny boiler" :albino:

My thoughts are that, if you are trying to sell a car, you take pictures of all the good bits ( and bad if you are an honest chap ) and hang it all out for show/ inspection. Also - the fact that it was originally blue and now white, with rust means that there's probably a whole lot of pain under the paint

At 16k, plus a minimum of 10k bodywork 'n bits we're up to Jamies Blood Orange's kind of money... and lets face it, I'd have had Jamies time and time again. - ooh er.!

Disco
PhilGarner
Married to the DDK

Post by PhilGarner »

Definitely something up with this - terrible picture plus almost no description means there's something to hide.

Does it even run?
vroomvroom
DDK Fanatic

Post by vroomvroom »

Completely agree it makes sense to buy the best and rust free example etc etc

But there is something romantic (read foolish) about buying an unloved car and bringing it back – even if it never breaks even

Think of it as classic Porsche fostering

:toothy4:
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Joe,

Speaking from my experience of buying a similar-condition car... I'd just head over to Alan's place and get something off him.

I paid nothing for my car, and I reckon it would easily have eaten £15-20k to get it up the standard of one of his restorations. It ate a fair bit just getting it to a decent driving 911.

Restoring my car would have been missing the point, but when I first got it, the whole thing was totally oldschool and, between moments of brilliance, could be mind-bendingly infuriating. If you just want a good, no-fuss 911 that isn't going to require hours of your weekend lying in the dirt getting a face full of oil and ancient mud, a £20-something-K Alan-special represents long-term excellent value.

If you don't want to spend £20-ish-K, I'd get an IB, because any early car is going to end-up costing you more than that in the long run anyway.
'68 912
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

The only way is to go and look at it. It will all depend on the condition of the body and the engine. It's unlikely to ever be worth restoring to it's original colour and to put all the correct bits on it as it will just cost too much to do.

So if you don't mind keeping it as it is and the body is OK and it has a proper MFI 2.4E engine in it then it might be a reasonable car to buy and run. You might not have to pay the buy it price. The flip side is that it could well be a dog if you go to look at it.

Ian.
vroomvroom
DDK Fanatic

Post by vroomvroom »

The cynics may be right in this case :oops:

I have twice asked a serious of very simple and straight questions and on one occasion the answers have been selective and as yet no answer the second time

Perhaps something to hide –

Viewing is the way to go however before I embark on a 350 mile round journey I would at least like to know

1. Does it have a valid MOT if not when did it last have one ?
2.Do you have current V5 and any history, old MOTs etc ?
3. Can I have the reg – is it HPI clear (not cat D or C etc) ?
4 Does it still have the external oil filler on the rear wing ?
5. Which garage gave you the quote for the £5k to make it fabulous?
6. Which garage carried out the thousands of pounds of work to the engine and bodywork (do you have the receipts) ?
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Yup, blokes an arse - still no more pictures - based on this fact alone he's hiding stuff, which makes the car worth less than the 8k it started at, in fact I reckon its not even worth the ebay add he paid. I'm tempted to send him some mild abuse centred around why he shouldn't get into debt in the first place and that if he doesn't pull his finger out, someone else will...
Probably won't though, I value my 100 percent feedback too much.

Disco
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

The eagle eyed may spot the owner is a fan of Borat :lol:
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
vroomvroom
DDK Fanatic

Post by vroomvroom »

A few more pics added – bit selective and narrow in what they show…to be fair the garage looks a bit cramped so could be difficult to get a full view (i.e. whole of engine bay)

anyone here bidding ???
PhilGarner
Married to the DDK

Post by PhilGarner »

I am amazed people will bid on this without looking at it. Its not like the pictures are good enough to make a fair assessment of the car's condition.

Probably fair to guess that there is a lot of rust we can't see though. Still, probably worth bringing up to good condition - seriously doubt it can be done for 5k though.
vroomvroom
DDK Fanatic

Post by vroomvroom »

[quote="vroomvroom"]

I have twice asked a serious of very simple and straight questions and on one occasion the answers have been selective and as yet no answer the second time

Perhaps something to hide –

quote]

Fair play has come back with the answers

car will come with 12 month MOT
has last 6 mots
oil filler still in place
work undertaken by Fuchs in Ollerton (with receipts)
spe
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by spe »

Bertroex wrote:
964RS wrote: Reoplica
Might be a take on the local accent.... As in

Ey oop duck, wanna buoy my porsch reoplica? Me Moem sais I need to take the boes now.

;)

Bert
thats better now I know what he is selling!