mystifying rear window demister meister

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

gav p
DDK slapper chatter

mystifying rear window demister meister

Post by gav p »

Morning everyone...

I was re-installing the rear window on my 912 the other day, and realised why the de-mister has never worked - all of the electrical veins running across the glass has rubbed off over the years, leaving only the lines of adhesive but no conductive material :(

I guess its a long shot to expect to be able to restore the foil-like demister veins? Or does anyone know a cunning trick here?!

Im thinking that I'll have to replace the glass with a good 2nd hand piece if I want to have a working rear demister again....

Cheers....
Gav
Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

Frost sell stuf that looks like Tipexx for touching up the odd bit of broken connection, may be a goer but then there may be too much to do?

F
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

This will work to repair a scratch on the element, but won't recreate the whole element.... We had a Heated rear window replace in a golf cabrio by the windscreen insurance cover once. It wasn't broken, just no HRW. Took it to Autoglass who processed the claim, and replaced the window. May work for you....
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gav p »

mmm yes I've heard of the repair stuff, but unfortunately I think mine's too far gone. In fact, theres virtually no contact left anywhere on the window...:shock:

Although....I wonder if you could use that stuff to paint your own demister design onto the window, rather than boring old horizontal lines :D - the possibilities are endless :D :D

Seriously, though, I might look into the insurance claim route.

Cheers
Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport