"Equipe"GTS Race Series 2009

Chitter chatter about Porsche Motorsport -race meets, hillclims etc.

Moderator: Bootsy

Jim Lowry
DDK Newbie

"Equipe"GTS Race Series 2009

Post by Jim Lowry »

"Equipe”GTS 2009

I am starting a new thread (here and both in the 356 and 912 sections) to introduce myself and to provide some additional information of the popular “Equipe”GTS race series.

Christophe Wilmart and myself started the “Equipe”GTS race series a few years ago having realised there was plenty of races for larger engined and more powerful historic cars in which smaller engined cars can try to compete – but typically usually only as “also-rans”. At least at that time, there was no race series predominantly for lesser powered historic production sports-cars.

Over the last seven seasons, we have enjoyed organising some excellent European motor races including events at Montlhery, Spa Fancorchamps, Zandvoort, Dijon-Prenios, Zolder, Le Mans-Bugatti and Clermont Ferrand, plus other longer distance races at some of the more popular and demanding UK circuits including Donington Park, Silverstone International, Brands Hatch, Snetterton and the Shell-oils circuit at Oulton Park among many others. We have attracted cars and drivers from Germany, Italy, Holland, France, Belgium, Denmark and Sweden, plus a host of UK drivers and all have enjoyed some excellent racing.

Our races are predominantly for lesser powered historic production sports-cars including MGAs, MGBs, Triumph TR3 and 4, Morgan 4/4 and Plus-4, Standard and “Special-bodied” Sprites and Midgets, Sabre 6, TVR Grantura, Elva Courier, AC Ace and Alfa Romeo cars among many others. Most cars run to period E to F “FIA” specification or to an acceptable period modified specification to be approved by the organising committee and very importantly - on controlled historic style tyres. We no longer accept entries form cars over 2.7 litres, nor from Lotus Elans, Marcos, Porsche 911 ( sorry ) or any sports-racing cars.

We do not hold any form of championship and the need to win or be competitive is not of paramount importance among our growing number of competitors. Our aims and objectives are to be able to provide a reasonably safe environment for owners of high quality historic cars to race in longer distance races at better quality circuits and meetings.

Over the past seven seasons, we have attracted some beautiful cars to race with us including no less than five ex-works MG cars including a ex-Le Mans and ex Sebring MGBs and a "Jacobs" style MG Midget, both ex-works Le Mans Sunbeam Alpines, one of three ex Le Mans Triumph Spitfires, plus several superb sports-cars with genuine 1960s racing history.

During the recent 2008 season, we held 14 x 30 minute races at 8 different circuits. Helped with support from Virgin Radio Classic Rock, we held race entry fees at £150 for a single 30-minute race, £295 for double-header 30-minute races. We do not charge any registration fee and during this last season we attracted no less than 103 drivers.

The provisional calendar for 2009 is near confirmed, we have double header 30 minute races at Zandvoort and on the excellent Le Mans Bugatti circuit in Europe, plus races at Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Anglesey and Croft in the UK. We will be kicking off the season at Donington with a single 30 minute race.

Information can be found on http://www.historique.co.uk

Importantly, we would love to see more Porsches running with us in 2009. Any FIA GTS period E or F specification 356 or 912 would be eligible and very welcome. Certain period type modifications may be acceptable, but must be declared upon registration.

Please ask anything you might like to know and I will be happy to help where I can.

Thank you.

Jim Lowry.
one-two
DDK rules my life!

GTS

Post by one-two »

Jim, well done for organising the race series - just for the record, why no pre-66 911s? Cheers, Robert
Jim Lowry
DDK Newbie

Post by Jim Lowry »

Hi Robert.

Good question and I am sure one which we have discussed before.

One of the main reasons for starting the "Equipe"GTS series to was create a place to race cars which are more typically outclassed by more powerful cars in other races.

The second was to create a series for owners to race their excellent quality and properly prepared cars, unlike some of the more typical UK race series.

-

We do not accept entries from any cars over 2.7 litres, Lotus Elans, any Marcos cars or any other car which we consider is likely to walk away from the field. Unfortunately having considered 911s and watched a few of them racing at other events including those in Europe at Dijon and at the Spa 6hour etc. It is quite clear that none of our regular cars could keep in touch with some of the faster FIA Period F 911 race cars.

It is more important to us to have created somewhere for historic specification Triumph Spitfires and Sunbeam Alpines to race. We would like to attract 356s and 912s because we feel they would blend in very nicely with out grids and even potentially be class winners even if not overall winners ?

-

Another serious problem which surrounds motor racing is that of controlling eligibility and policing it with a common sense approach.

As you know - I am a National MSA scrutineer and I like to think that I am in quite good control of the cars which race in "Equipe"GTS. The rules were written in such a way that they are easy for me to police.

It is very much my own opinion that many other race series have vehicle regulations which may look good on paper, but do not work in reality.

We allow what we call "period modifications". For example we would allow an earlier 356 to use mechanical components from a later model 356 even though this would not be allowed in FIA appendix K. We could be quite sure it happened in at least club racing in period. Similarly, we allow MGAs to use disc brakes and to use MGB engines. If undeclared - it will take me about 2 seconds to spot the difference - we simply put MGAs with MGB engines from the 1650cc into up to 2litre cars class.

I cannot check bore sizes without lots of hassle, so we allow oversize bores. MGB engines we allow to bored to what ever you like and 1950cc is the typical and maximum end result. Stroke we can measure with ease and so this must be as per the period homologation.

It would not concern us if a 356 or 912 ran with oversize pistons and barrels, I understand there is a limit to how large the capacity can be providing the original type crankcase is used. Even if the engines were larger, we would keep 356s and 912s in the 1650cc class which in reality is where they belong.

As for Porsche 911s . . . . . . . . . . . . . How large can the engine capacity be using an original crankcase ?

Dare I suggest . . . . maybe this is why some of the cars we have seen at Dijon and Spa are just a little bit faster than we might have expected ?

-

“Equipe”GTS races are very popular and often over subscribed. We often have reserve entries.

Unfortunately for those with 911 cars, we feel that we cannot accommodate them, nor need to.

I hope you understand the situation.

Cheers,

Jim.
one-two
DDK rules my life!

GTS

Post by one-two »

Jim, good for you - I think it's a very reasonable approach and I applaud your efforts. Only sorry that we can't join you! Best wishes, Robert