Adhesives

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Luke
DDK rules my life!

Adhesives

Post by Luke »

I’m replacing my dirty knackered old dashboard strip (the bit behind the radio, heater light know etc) with new leather and as such I need to stick some leather to an aluminium surface.

Ordinarily I’d use evo-stick impact adhesive but I’m unlikely to get the leather in place correctly first time, can anyone recommend a glue I can use on leather that gives a good bond but gives you some repositioning time?
Porscheless but still aircooled
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

I would use Evostick, just take care
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

you can move it about a little as I use this to do the upholstery with my work and I think it is what they used any way.
Another product is the spray glue I tend to use this the most for all the general trimming work you can remove it and replace it as well. Less messy than evo (that's if you can spray the can in the right direction firstly)
But I fear it might not be strong enough to hold it long term.

Tip if you do use the Evo then smear a strip about an 1" wide along the top first then postion it and tape it in place and walk away until it sets then you can finish off later with it held in place.

The main problem I found was with trimming people try and do it all in one go. Do a bit at a time...

Mark

it took me two days to trim the tops of the doors but hrs wise about 2 max. they look perfect.
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

Thanks guys, thankfully I’m working with a flat surface so it shouldn’t be too tricky, I’ll just have to work fast!
Porscheless but still aircooled