Exhaust?

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

chief
Married to the DDK

Exhaust?

Post by chief »

O.K Good morning everyone,
I'm pretty new here and as some may know I am trying to finish a part built project. Having just fitted a brand new pair of Webber 40's my attention has turned to the expelling of gas! At the moment I have (came with the car) an Empi Tuckaway fitted......Question is what have you got fitted????????????
I'm trying to get the authentic look but can only find VW fancy pants stuff.

Where do I need to look????

Thanks in advance.
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

hi chief,
Welcome!
When I had my Chesil it came with a monza 4 outlet exhaust. I changed this for a tuckaway like what you have now and the car felt and sounded awesome. The problem was that it just didn't tuck away (ask the guys on the Scottish tour last year). I believe that the EMPI ones are not the best and the others that are available are much better. Here's a pick of mine with the "tuckaway.."

A few guys on here are running BAS systems, expensive but they are supposed to be a great fit and excellently built.

Dansk do quite a nice 2 outlet system and it tucks away quite well.

Mine was also lowered quite a bit.

HTH
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Thanks Rich,
A lot of info....but come on people lots of views but not many answers...
What you got fitted?
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

I now have a Type IV engine so my current experiences aren't going to be terribly relevant. :?

I use a BAS header (21152E) and had my local "Top Gear" dealer make up a custom silencer and piepwork/tail pipe to connect to it; the silencer is tucked right up under the wing which is protected with a metalized heat shield.

Back when I had a type I, I used the Chesil stainless steel system which I was very happy with - they were even willing to make a custom one with a centre-exit exhaust and on that note their new Gmund one looks v nice. But Tygan are a bugger to deal with these days....

Take a look at the BAS and CSP websites for alternatives to the standard fare...
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

As an aside I don't know when your planning to get your project on the road but the replacement for SVA (IVA) is proposing a 99dB limit rather than 101dB as currently. As a reference, my exhaust is 104 dB. :shock:
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Get your ass over to Turbo Thomas and he'll build you what you need and want.

http://www.turbothomas.com/
JonR
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by JonR »

I've got a Chesil stainless one I bought from Simon I'd be happy to sell if you want it.