Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Just thought I'd say 'Hello All'
New to this after buying a part build Chesil. If I can get the carbs to stop popping back and lower it some more i'll be happy.
I hope to bump into some of you as time goes on.
Thanks,
Mark
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Hello any pics of your car?
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Hi Mark,
welcome to DDK. i've just bought a Apal speedster with a Beetle engine. to be honest i am not at al impressed with the beetle engine it so tempramental , so i am thinking about investing in a Porsche engine for the car.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Helen wrote:i am not at al impressed with the beetle engine it so tempramental
You've not got it set up right or based on what you said at CLM the carbs need sorting/need a better linkage etc. Once set up they are far from tempramental.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

EFI conversion?..
Just let me know when you're ready :lol:
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Helen wrote:Hi Mark,
welcome to DDK. i've just bought a Apal speedster with a Beetle engine. to be honest i am not at al impressed with the beetle engine it so tempramental , so i am thinking about investing in a Porsche engine for the car.
In my opinion that engine is great, and during my ownership was the least tempramental car/engine I have had the fortune to have in my custody. What have you done to it?
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

EFI Rocks!

Post by shambly »

EFI certainly rocks! No more blocked idle jets or variation in AFR between hot and cold weather. Plus about 20% better fuel economy!

This is a Type 4 but also applies to a Type I.

Here with DTAfast S40 ECU, Jenvey throttle bodies, RAT linkage, RAT air filters, Mallory pump/filter/regulator.

A decent linkage also helps - this centre pull one is excellent even compared to the decent CB linkage I have with my IDFs.
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Arh yes we spoke at length at the Stonleigh show if you remember. I was with my wife and grilled you for a long time!!!!
I'm trying one last attempt with the Kadron / Solex carbs and if that won't fix it the the hammers coming out! If I hear one more person mention 'Air leaks mate' i'll scream.......
I will post some pictures up after the weekend as I'm lowering front and rear to get somewhere near the original cars (taking the extra sump off should indicate how low I'm attempting) wish me luck.....
Now next is the ali drums..............anyone................anyone??
Does it ever end?
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: EFI Rocks!

Post by defianty »

shambly wrote:EFI certainly rocks! No more blocked idle jets or variation in AFR between hot and cold weather. Plus about 20% better fuel economy!

This is a Type 4 but also applies to a Type I.

Here with DTAfast S40 ECU, Jenvey throttle bodies, RAT linkage, RAT air filters, Mallory pump/filter/regulator.

A decent linkage also helps - this centre pull one is excellent even compared to the decent CB linkage I have with my IDFs.
Shamby can you please tell me more about your typeIV. Did you build the efi yourself. I've been looking at this route for the 914.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Mick Cliff wrote:
Helen wrote:Hi Mark,
In my opinion that engine is great, and during my ownership was the least tempramental car/engine I have had the fortune to have in my custody. What have you done to it?
it got fuc**d up by the first person i took it to for a service :evil: and hasn't really worked right since.
took it to Daren who has sorted out the carb/balancing but its still not right.
member#1182
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Helen wrote:it got fuc**d up by the first person i took it to for a service :evil: and hasn't really worked right since..
But a 1600 VW engine set up ok has little that can go wrong and should run perfectly ok - surely Darren was able to get it running ok? What are the symptoms at the moment?
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

since seeing Darren it is now running fine BUT has now started smoking :?

noticed it first when i backed out of Darrens place but it was a cold and very wet day so i put it down to atmospheric conditions and being in a tin shed. :?
member#1182
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Arh these teenagers.....they get it from pier pressure you know, I started smoking to look tough :roll: [/img]
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

defianty wrote:Shamby can you please tell me more about your typeIV. Did you build the efi yourself. I've been looking at this route for the 914.
It is a Raby built 2270cc "C" engine that was delivered on Carbs back in 05. I updated it to injection last year, pulling together components myself around a DTAfast ECU and Jenvey throttle bodies/air filters/linkage supplied by Jake.

You'll find a reasonable amount of detail here as I wrote a 5 article series on my conversion for the Speedsters & Spyders Club Magazine. (Your request finally got me around to updating my website and putting this information online)

http://www.chesiloutlaw.com/phase3_index.htm

Hope this helps,
Simon
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Thanks very much Simon I'll give that a good read over the weekend :)
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims