fuel sender problems

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

fuel sender problems

Post by Miggs »

well i got a full tank but the gauge is on empty anyone got any tips???
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Check your feeds to the sender & the gauge, both live & earth. Also have you checked that there is actually petrol in the tank. We wouldn't want you to have to put new plugs in, take them out, put the old plugs back in, take them out, rebuild your carbs, twice, or anything like that just because you forgot to put petrol in the tank. :wink:

Ad.
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

:lol: :lol: :oops: yes there is petrol in it this time will check the feeds :wink:
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

te he I am the other way round it shows a full tank and I have er none...OK Mr RAC man nice to see you again ....I will a gallon of my Ususal.....ops :oops: :lol:

I have a new sender and I will be checking the feeds
69Olive
DDK above all

Post by 69Olive »

Miggs

If it's not the electrical connections, it could be the unit itself. I took mine out of my tank recently and dis-assembled it. Basically a float moves up and down 2 very thin wires. My float moved very erratically and got stuck in one position several times.

I stuck the tube in a pint mug filled with diluted POR 15 Marine Clean. This is excellent at getting rid of sticky residue. The liquid promptly turned dark brown. After inverting it and leaving it for a while then putting it back together, I was amazed at the difference. Very smooth movement.

It might sound like hassle, but in my opinion, it will only improve the sender.

(edited for spelling!)
1969 911T - E Engine
2000 Boxster S
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Muck

Post by Robster »

Yep,

I'll second that - mine didn't work so hauled the sender out - it was covered in 30 years of crap - gave it a clean

now works fine..

best regards
Robster
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

I will say that miggs one does seam to have an odd fault. Swap over the other sender unit in the other car as our phone call and see if this helps.. if not you can borrow mind and see if that is any good I will bring it to Woodstock.

Mark
timster
DDK Newbie

Post by timster »

Having similar problem with my sender - definately works as when taken out of the tank and moved around with ignition on (watch for sparks lads) the gauge moves accordingly. Which is great. But a soon as it goes back in the tank then it just sticks againat whatever amount of fuel happened to be in the tank at the time.

Reckon a good old clean would do the trick but what do I use to clean it without contaminating the fuel? What's POR 15 Marine Clean and where can I buy a pint of it? Robster - what did you use? Would SPAR vodka work?

cheers,

timster
'71 911E
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

After two years of having a non functioning gauge, swapped it for a spare 914 one and hey presto everything works! Felt a bit of a prat for not checking if they were the same before! :oops:

Have plenty of 914 senders in the shed if anyone needs one :wink:

Ian
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
timster
DDK Newbie

Post by timster »

Cheers Ian - Will try the cleaning option first but tempted by an ex-914 jobby if that fails.

tim
'71 911E
69Olive
DDK above all

Post by 69Olive »

You can buy POR-15 Marine Clean from www.frost.co.uk http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8680

Good Luck
1969 911T - E Engine
2000 Boxster S
timster
DDK Newbie

Post by timster »

Cheers - got around to sorting this out with some POR 15 thssi weekend - works a treat at cleaning the thing up.

Sender still sticking slightly but seems to be affected by how tight I screw the bolts in at the top of the tank...strange.

Thanks again for advice.

tim
'71 911E
69Olive
DDK above all

Post by 69Olive »

Weird! It could be that your sender is touching the bottom of the tank - but that doesn't sound very plausible.

I do know that the new cork gasket I used was about 4 times thicker than the one I replaced.

I still have the odd problem with fuel level readings but I know that is down to the connecter being a bit loose.
1969 911T - E Engine
2000 Boxster S