Race chassis ident required..

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

carsten
DDK Fanatic

Race chassis ident required..

Post by carsten »

Since I am on a run anyway posting this on every damn Porsche website worldwide, I thought I'd chuck it on here as well..

"Hiya,
ANybody recognise this chassis? I recently aquired this and it is 1971 body that I can track back to 1982 when it arrived in the UK. It apparantly was sold via dealer in Belgium as a 911E to a race team, and I am trying to find more history to this car as apparently this car body raced in Daytona in the 70's. (1976 or 77 we think)
This car in its current state also featured in the Sept 2004 Porsche&911 World magazine and the owner then ran into a wall regarding the history of the car tracing it back to 1982 as mentioned.

A few top peeps at Porsche GB have said that it looks like RUF modificatons, but nothing more and RUF dont have records from that period (or arent willing to comment due to that period of time was rather borderline legit for them).

Anybody seen this chassis before? Just curious as the guy wasnt a big internet whizz so I thought I'd try my luck here and see if any of you older guys MIGHT recognize the work from somewhere.

Something is idiot proof until a new and improved idiot comes along
carsten
DDK Fanatic

Post by carsten »

nobody?.. oh well..

anyhoo, here it is now fresh from the paintshop baking oven in Continental orange (107).. still needs rear quarter windows and wash/wax and some details. I am sure some of the purists will have a heart attack over this but this car is such a screwball so intent is more valuable than originality I think. The car is 71 car still and the frontslam panel is still for a longbonnet, We have used modified brackets on the bumper to make it fit. The 9" and 11" rims have been fitted now wearing TB15 tyres, the wheel arch extensions have been done. Some rust work had to be taken care of from where the rain gutters used to be (shaved off some time in its life) and then new paint layed down.

kenikh
DDK Fanatic

Post by kenikh »

That photo makes me want a short hood! 8)
Kenik

>1969 911S
>1965 911
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

ooh now that is strange.

I almost bought this shell ages back at a damned good price.
Yes even back then nobody had a clue what it was. all we knew is it had a lot of work done to it by someone who knew what they were doing.
anyhow, i didnt buy it in the end ( should have done)

I then saw the article in 911 world where it had been built up into a full car. I cant see why it would be stripped back down again to a shell unless this is a completely different car/shell.

at the time i looked at it the conclusion was RUF.

v.strange
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

carsten wrote:I am sure some of the purists will have a heart attack over this
Probably, but who gives a crap? That car looks brilliant. Good work!
'68 912
carsten
DDK Fanatic

Post by carsten »

It wasnt stripped down. I bought it as a fully buildt car looking like it did in the magazine.The bare chassis pics are ones Dave Dennett took when he bought the shell.
Only difference was that the engine had been changed into the 2.8 spec. Problem was I didnt like the smurf blue colour so changed it. and at the same did the arch conversion in one hit. I am getting period correct replica seats in it to bring it back into period spec as well as FIA approval isnt important to me right now.
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

One really angry looking 911 8) Nice :)

Is the alloy tank in the front the complete fuel capacity? Guess that might limit your range a touch :wink:
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

What's with the two fillers?
'68 912
hot66

Post by hot66 »

jamie wrote:What's with the two fillers?
One will be a forward mounted dry sump oil tank
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)