Door popping open

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

willbrown
I luv DDK!

Door popping open

Post by willbrown »

Hello,

Have a frustrating and potentially dangerous problem with my passenger door.

It's a swine to shut properly and I have had to result in forcing it into the shut position by leaning heavily on the door and giving it a shove. (the seals and gaps etc are fine, so I can't see any obstruction or problem with the hinges).

OK, passenger in and door locked. Problem solved? No. Every time I hit a big rut in the road (unavaoidable in London I'm afraid) the door pops to the semi-closed position. It has been known to open completely.

Any pointers?... It seems to me that the turning catch affixed to the door is loose and won't lock properly. Is that fixable or will I need to replace?

Any advice gratefully received.

Best regards,

Will
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

have you adjusted your door shuts?? i had the same problem when putting mine together justtakes a bit of patience to get right :wink:
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Not sure I follow you miggs...

Do you mean the way I shut the door?

Cheers,

Will
'72 2.4S Targa
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

no the latch on the actual car not the door you can adjust it 3 torx type head screws have a play with that
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Brilliant, thanks Miggs...

I did think my interpretation of your first post was a bit basic :?

I'm signing up for DDK membership btw...like the way this forum runs. :D
'72 2.4S Targa
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

:wink:
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

If the lock in the door is worn it can cause the problem try adjustment first but I suspect the lock!
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

took a look last night...

can't see any way of making an adjustment up or down. the latch affixed to the body is held in place by two allen key bolts which, it would seem, only allow for horizontal movement...could making a horizontal adjustment (using washers, i assume) solve the problem?
'72 2.4S Targa
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

hi will it will go in all directions just loosen it and move around till you get it right

make sure its the catch on the body work NOT THE DOOR

good luck :wink:
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Cheers Miggs, I follow you...

Seen this suggestion on the Pelican Parts site for a handy tip in lining up the latch>>

The best way to adjust (in and out) is to losen those bolts with the proper tool, until the plate can move around, but not too lose to where it's sloppy. Then gently close the door while holding the trigger in, so that it doesn't latch. Then gently push on the door handle until the door edge lines up with the body to your liking. Then while continuing to hold the trigger in, gently open the door and tighten the plate where it is. I hold it slightly; pushing against it so it doesn't move while you're tightening the bolts.
'72 2.4S Targa
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Think I need a new pair of latch plates.

Carried out adjustment as suggested. Managed to reduce the tension on the latch which eased the popping open problem, but did not cure it.

The hard plastic that is meant to guide the catch attached to the door into lock position has disintegrated. Can you buy replacement plastic or is this a case of needing new latch plates?

Cheers,

Will
'72 2.4S Targa
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

I have an early latch on the drivers side I am willing to sell. LHD it's the bit inside the door. Not the bit on the body.

Mark

£8
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Hi Mark,

Cheers. Mine is LHD, but it's my passenger door that's giving me the most grief.

Will
'72 2.4S Targa
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Hi,

Fitted a new striker plate, but can't seem to get it into a good position. The door closes nearly flush, but the popping open is still a problem...especially on left hand bend with badly placed pot holes...I'm terrified of it swinging open into an on coming car.

Anyone got any pointers that might at least help me keep the door closed until I can get someone to have a proper look at it?

Any help much appreciated.

Will
'72 2.4S Targa
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

its a pity you wasnt a bit closer i would have a look for you

im sure someone in your area might be able to help put where you are from on your profile so you never know there might be some ddk members in your area who can help