TYRE help needed

Chitter chatter about Porsche Motorsport -race meets, hillclims etc.

Moderator: Bootsy

vwretrosteve
DDK forever

TYRE help needed

Post by vwretrosteve »

i am intending to track day my 69 911, and rather than use the 14" fuchs it now rolls on ..i am upgrading to 15 " versions..

my need relates to the appropriate tyre sizes for track use...

i dont wish to over tyre it..and have a lot of sidewall flexing about..likewise i dont wish to under tyre it either

fuchs are 6" wide versions ..although i have 5.5's as well

any suggestions.. looking at toyo tyres incedentally as a good allrounder

cheers
356A coupe,...
and some other nonsense

Retro VW-Porsche - Euro and USA
Import/Sales.
Vehicles, parts and Temptation.
Surrey- 01483 810756 07974579667
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

If you are after proper track rubber there are Michelin TB15s, Toyo 888s, Dunlops or Avons available. All are road legal, but are definitely compromised for road use, especially in wet or cold conditions. Any normal road tyre will be a compromise on the track. If you have spare rims then go for something like the Toyo 888 195/50 VR15 and change them over at the track. With sticky tyres you will want to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well; anti roll bars if you don't have them already and racing brake fluid.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
vwretrosteve
DDK forever

Post by vwretrosteve »

cheers nick,

i have 's ' calipers, uprated pads, cross drilled disks and dot 4 brake fluid.. whilst the suspension has been lowered and subject to a few 'usual suspect' modifications, in real terms they amount to nothing more than bushing changes, and as you suggest .. the addition of uprated anti roll bars..

i wish to improve the car over time, and have some fun in it without totally removing the 'useability factor'

(i had a lot of fun in my former track prepared 964, but it was virtually unuseable on a road basis)

i feel some form of self restraint is going to be needed with this car :)
356A coupe,...
and some other nonsense

Retro VW-Porsche - Euro and USA
Import/Sales.
Vehicles, parts and Temptation.
Surrey- 01483 810756 07974579667