356 replica construction

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

fishlegs
DDK Newbie

356 replica construction

Post by fishlegs »

Hi all

I'm trying to engineer a colapsible steering column arrangement in my M and W 356 coupe. I've got the right column from a bug etc but the trouble is that as far as I can see unless the column is very securely mounted at the top, the colapsible section won't colapse and the whole column will just be pushed back. On my car, the column is clamped to a 1 inch square tube runing accross th car under the dashboard. This tube is just bolted to the 'glass body a end - I reckon it would just tear loose or simply bend if only a weak force was applied. I'm considering making a steel box section hoop that goes down to the floor on both sides and has forward diagonals down to the front of the floor.

Anybody else tackled this problem or got any ideas. Not sure if th other manufacturers do things differently in this area.

Any comments much appreciated.

Cheers

Fishlegs
356 carrera rep
75 bay
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

Yes, on the Chesil the 1" tube bolts to the subframe on each side of the vehicle with two bolts on each side.
fishlegs
DDK Newbie

Post by fishlegs »

On my car there is no subframe in this area. There is no reinforcement in front of the doors - they are just bolted through the fibreglass bodyshell. I'm guessing other cars have some sort of steel post in front of the doors that is welded to the main perimeter frame and this also serves to support the 'cross member' behind the dash.

Looks like I'll be firing up the mig.
356 carrera rep
75 bay
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Hey fish legs, you must have steel door pillars that the doors hinge from, tucked away behind your shell. if this is the case just cut a section out and join the to pillars together.
fishlegs
DDK Newbie

Post by fishlegs »

Nope - checked and double checked, even with magnet and drilling v.small holes - no steel in this area apart from a plate between the 2 hinge mounting areas - but this is not tied into the frame at all.

I know its a difficult area to photo but does anyone have any pictures of this area on their cars so I can see how other manufacturers have tackled it.

Cheers
356 carrera rep
75 bay
912phil
DDK addict

Post by 912phil »

dude...have a word with Barrie at Martin and Walker. He built the car and im sure will point you in the right direction.

Post some pics..would love to see it again
1992 964 RS Guards Red
1995 993RS Speed Yellow
1968 912 Silver
356 "The Fakey" Outlaw - sadly missed

www.ddk-online.com