Ideas on lowering the drivers seat.

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

james33
DDK Fanatic

Ideas on lowering the drivers seat.

Post by james33 »

I'm 6'4" and find my head touches sun roof on my '73 911. Any ideas on lowering the seat?
WHY?
PS: I've thought about welding a plate and bolting seat directly to the floor but this means my wife (5'8") would need super-sonic platform shoes and a primate arm extension
'71T
'73 2.4S (sold)
'60 AH 3000 MK 1
Defender 110 '98
hmy7k
DDK above all

Post by hmy7k »

James

I have an indentical problem. I am 6'6" and I have a 72 2.4s
with a sunroof. My car has recaros.

I have contemplated a number of solutions including new seats.

Having spoken to a number of people I have concluded that the best way forward is to have a new mounting frame made up. Although you could modify the existing one I want to be able to return my car to original.
I understand that many RS owners have done this anyway as the standard seat mounting is very heavy. Having just removed mine I can voucher for that.

I am going for a fixed one as my wife is not bothered about driving it.

However it would only take a little more work to do it using the slider
which comes with recaro seat. I don't know if the standard seats utilise the same mounting system.

I have taken my seats and mounting out and with the seats placed on
the floor I have loads of headroom.

Next week I am getting a friend to make them up. I hope this helps.
72 2.4S Hellgelb
james33
DDK Fanatic

Max Headroom

Post by james33 »

Thanks for replying, I've also posted on Pelican to see what the US guys do so I could keep you posted if your interested. I have to move soon as I'm getting mine back on the road.

If you made a seat frame and put it on a slider how many inches do you think you would forfeit? (I also have Recaros)
'71T
'73 2.4S (sold)
'60 AH 3000 MK 1
Defender 110 '98
hmy7k
DDK above all

Post by hmy7k »

James

Putting it on a slider would not lose you any space it would just be more complicated.

The recaro mounting consists of a silver slider and then bolted to this is
a painted frame which allows the seat to be folded forward for access to the rear seats. The painted frame has two tubes running front to back which the seats bolt into.

By removing the folding mechanism you would be able to make a frame
which drops between the silver sliders and takes the seat down below the sliders. You could drop this as far down as you need. You would then still be able adjust the height of the seat by using the three fixing holes on the base of the seat.

You would need to incorporate a lock in your frame to secure the position of your seat in the slider as this is part of the seat mounting.
72 2.4S Hellgelb
james33
DDK Fanatic

Max Headroom

Post by james33 »

Without wishing to be forward is your friend a mate who is doing you a favour or is he a professional who may be interested in addtional work?
'71T
'73 2.4S (sold)
'60 AH 3000 MK 1
Defender 110 '98
hmy7k
DDK above all

Post by hmy7k »

The seat is now reinstalled and is approx 2" lower than before.

It is difficult to show on a photograph but is has worked very well.

72 2.4S Hellgelb