180mm clutch on 356 motor

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Paul Knight
DDK Fanatic

180mm clutch on 356 motor

Post by Paul Knight »

the 75hp 1600 i've got fitted in my bug could do with a clutch in the not too distant future so i was wondering what the options are. Several people have told me the original clutch uses the same springs as an early Beetle 1800mm item and is therefore no stronger - surely this can't be true, can it? i have to admit, looking at the 2 side by side they certainly don't look any different...
However, if as I imagine, the clutch is heavier, where's the cheapest place to pick one up from? I'm not trying to be tight but i've only got £650 sunk into the project so far, a £200 clutch would be a major luxury!!!
nickT
DDK forever

Post by nickT »

probably not much help but have you concidered shipping one from the US, from the likes of stoddard, good ex. rate.
Nick.
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

hi paul

top mag by the way :wink:

speak to 912uk on here i think he was looking into this clutch thing
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Hi Paul I am in the same boat here I have a 912 engine to go in to a 356 .

I am still going to run a 180mm fly wheel I spoke to Alex and he said about the VW unit I also spoke to John Lucas and he used 180mm clutch to when he raced.

I know that the VW unit will go in and work but for how long. Darren with the red 356 51 had a 3 spring one in his and it did not last that long but to be honest and I think Darren will agree it depends on how you drive it.

I have the 3 spring unit to go in but I might exchange it for the leaf one hmmm still thinking about it and that whole kit was £45 from G&S

Mark
Paul Knight
DDK Fanatic

Post by Paul Knight »

aha, thanks guys.

i used the original porsche diaphragm type clutch and added the bearing support ring from a bug unit to adapt it to the early vw 'box but you know when the diaphragm type 'go bad' and have that non-progressive feel and bad grip when shifted hard at high rpm? well that's what it's like!
i've got a few vw clutch kits here so i might give it a go. tomorrow i'm refitting a vw 1600 (50hp) motor into an early bug with a new 180mm clutch. i think i'll test that first. if it holds up ok with the 50 horses, i'll chance it with the well-worn 75 in mine!
incidentally, i've been told early type 2's had a clutch with a different part number and different springs (3 finger type). i'll look into this some more as they are obviously much heavier than a bug and i'd imagine the clutch from one of those would hold it ok. i'm sure they're all the same now but i have a few sources for genuine vw parts that might be able to help
912uk

Post by 912uk »

yes i have heard that to there is the van type clutch as well which is more lbs age. and more suited to our engines.
Paul Knight
DDK Fanatic

Post by Paul Knight »

right, a noisy release bearing and bad slipping in 3rd and 4th mean action is needed this week. having spoken with a few more people, it seems that the 3-finger clutch (as opposed to the multi-finger type) is the way forward. they fingers are adjustable for height and, i'm told, that this will also reflect on the effective holding power of the springs. so, i'm going to give it a go and try a few experiments to see how and why this might work.
incidentally, i stopped at karmann konnection last week and ritchie reckoned that a stock vw 180 would be fine as he uses lots on the earlier engines.

i shall report back soon!
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Paul same here I have the 3 finger unit in the W/S I am just checking the end play on my crank with a DTi and then it's going in ..... Keep you informed

Mark