Indicator relay

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

911GP
DDK forever

Indicator relay

Post by 911GP »

Hi,
My indicator relay seems to be faulty since the tell-tale lights stay on constantly. I have bought a Wherle replacement from ECP but it doesn't work correctly either (details to follow).
Can anybody tell me what they have done in similar cases?
Also, does anyone have a circuit diagram of the relay (Hella TBB264DB 002479-01)?
Thanks
Gitesh
Madrat
Married to the DDK

Re: Indicator relay

Post by Madrat »

Hi Gitesh,

Can't help you but my relay is not working 100% either so would be interested if anyone knows of a solution!

If there is a tried and fully tested original relay out there I will join the queue after Gitesh of course.
Cheers

Richard

1972 LHD 911T Coupé (US MFI Version in Tangerine)
1972 RHD 911E Coupé (UK Supplied in Aubergine) - Sold
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Hi Gitesh,
I've found that erratic tell-tales are sometimes due to dodgy earths / other connections in the indicator circuit.
Might be worth a double-check?
For reasons I can't quite remember (possibly the higher current of the actual indicators), it's possible that the indicator itself works, but the tell-tale exhibits the fault.
Good luck, have fun with that multimeter.
Cheers, Richard.
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Hi Richard,
Ordinarily I would agree but the connections and earths are good. Changing the relay to a spare Gary has resolves the issue so I'm pretty sure it is the relay in this case.
Apparently it is a common issue so would like to fix this if we can.
Thanks
Gitesh
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Hi,
I managed to get a solution on this. Firstly, I replaced the faulty relay I had with a four pin Wehrle relay I bought from Eurocarparts. This worked ok with the indicators but Gary Cook informed me that for later F series cars the handbrake light (and only the handbrake light) should flash when it is pulled (I think this may be due to U.S. saftey regulations). It is interesting to note that this was not on the wiring diagram I had downloaded from the web but Gary had it on his workshop manual diagram. Anyway, the Wehrle relay caused the handbrake and indicator tell tale lights to flash when the handbrake was pulled so it was not suitable for my car. After speaking to some DDKers, I rigged up a power supply to a circuit I made at home with some 21w bulbs and with a bit of testing I found out that not all 4 pin indicator relays are suitable. The type needed for 73 cars (and maybe 72 also) is a Hella TBB4 4DB003425. There may be others that work too but I think the important part to note is on the case it should state 2(4)x 21w+0 with the +0 bit relating to the handbrake which draws 0 watts.
For older cars though the Wehrle one would be fine though.
Kind regards
Gitesh
DarthMJH
I luv DDK!

Post by DarthMJH »

Thanks for the info Gitesh, mines a 73 so good to know.
Mike
1973 RHD 911T
1995 993 C4