1977 Carrera 3.0....

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

1977 Carrera 3.0....

Post by Darren65 »

I'm tempted to make a move on this car although would welcome suggestions on value?

It's a 1977 Carrera 3.0 standard sunroof coupe in Sienna with Tan interior showing 100K miles.
The car was taken off the road nearly three decades ago with top end engine issues and has been dry stored since. The car is complete although the engine and box have been removed and the engine part dismatled.
Everything is there with correct dials, steering wheel and it even has the original spare and tools etc although the interior is totally shagged. Engine and box are believed numbers matching.
Being off the road for so long has helped preserve the car and it's very solid with minimal metalwork required, we believe even the sills and kidney bowls are solid although it will require one door skin, a front pan repair and there's a dent in the roof. Paint under the bonnet and in the engine bay is like new.
Currently on Cookies although I would get a very nice set of 7 & 8" Fuchs in the deal along with a genuine 3.0 Whale Tail and rubber front lip spoiler.
It's coming from a totally trustworthy source who has never gotten around to restoring the car and I think I could secure it for low £30K's which to me sounds very sensible, would you agree?
Downside is there's absolutely no history with the car.

Obviously a project which will require an engine build, some minor metal work and paint but an honest straightforward project that shouldn't take too long.

Colour wouldn't be my first preference but then if I buy it I wouldn't take it back to stock anyway and it would look more like this 8) ........

......my only slight hesitation is that I would really like a SWB project at some point and I'd be gutted if one popped up whilst in the middle of this......however chances of getting one at the right money are very slim and a nice 3.0RS rep was always second on my project wish list and I think this would be a great base? :?

I appreciate your thoughts?

Cheers,
Gary71

Re: 1977 Carrera 3.0....

Post by Gary71 »

Seeing as Paul Stevens has a matching (tidy) car up for £60k I’d say that sounds ok.

And I think you know where to take it for the metalwork :)
Slope330
I luv DDK!

Post by Slope330 »

re the colour there is a genuine 74 3.0 rs that colour [photo deviation allowed for !] it has rear seats !
i m presuming the car ur looking at has a 77 3.0 lt. engine ,albeit in bits?
there is an easy mod to the heads giving smoother delivery and better all round power ...........
good luck at price level your talking how could u go wrong ?

if i recognise the background to those doors i guess just not their market ........

good luck
daily driver 930 SE
currently working through total rebuild '71 2.2 s
caring for '73 2.4 s
recent past;

993 cup;rs cs ; rs ;c2;gt2 ;gt2cs
'76 930, 3.0
'74 3.0 rs
'72/3 2.7 rs ;2.4 E;2.4 E Targa
'71 2.2 s
hot66

1977 Carrera 3.0....

Post by hot66 »

Personally reckon in the £30’s sounds high for a project ... this is of course based on nothing as I’ve not seen any photos etc .... but, to be honest Darren you’ve always followed your heart rather than head so I expect you’re going to go for it anyway :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Slope330
I luv DDK!

Post by Slope330 »

ur quite right ,we don't know what the bits are with the car,but surely if decent 2.7 rs reps with the right bits traded up to £100 ish surely comparable 3.0 rs in current market could well be worth it?
daily driver 930 SE
currently working through total rebuild '71 2.2 s
caring for '73 2.4 s
recent past;

993 cup;rs cs ; rs ;c2;gt2 ;gt2cs
'76 930, 3.0
'74 3.0 rs
'72/3 2.7 rs ;2.4 E;2.4 E Targa
'71 2.2 s
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Sounds like an interesting project although I would try a 3.0 RS rep if you can before going down that route. I tried a car that had about 250 BHP and wide body etc. Felt good but over tyres - my preference would be for something more delicate in the handling department.

Value wise, I’ve seen near mint cars sell for £80k and the market is softening. Working backwards, you have at least £50k to spend if you are rebuilding the running gear, some metal, paint, interior etc (much more than £50k .....). I would be looking to pay something in the 20s as there is plenty of work to do for the buyer.
The force is strong in this one ......
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Let's see ...

- strip whole car to bare metal
- repair/replace rusty metal as necessary
- delete sunroof
- add correct profile front & rear flares
- repaint whole car inside & out
- source a complete new interior
- source pair 9x15" Fuchs
- refurbish all 4 (or 5) wheels in preferred finish
- build engine to 3.0 RS spec
- rebuild/uprate braking system
- purchase tyres to suit 8's & 9's
- plus a fair amount more

Obviously you could do the bare minimum but, knowing you, that wouldn't happen ... :wink:

I don't think the end result would give you a car that provided anything that you don't already get (& more) from the 'mongrel'.

Stick with your original plan to find a swb project - or, better still get something other than a(nother) Porsche ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Wise words
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Bootsy wrote:Wise words
....indeed, if only I was! :?
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Slope330 wrote:ur quite right ,we don't know what the bits......
....car is 100% complete and a fairly straightforward project.

One fly in the ointment is that the seller won't let me buy it now I've mentioned my plans and has previously turned down a similar offer from someone who wanted to turn it into an IROC type car......although he's open to a colour change and other mods he says the car is too good to be messed with and wants it to remain a Carrera 3.0 :?

Whilst I understand the rationale if a car is unique, a special model, has low owners/miles, a great history or original paint etc I don't quite see it with this car and non-standard/original is just that whichever way you slice it!

Ultimately a standard Carrera 3.0 isn't for me.

Still, I have good history with the seller, he's a wonderful guy and a good friend and I'm working on him........he's very sincere but hopefully he'll come around to my view point......

.....if not I know of a nice Carrera 3.0 project for sale!

Cheers,
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.

Let's see ...

- strip whole car to bare metal
- repair/replace rusty metal as necessary
- delete sunroof
- add correct profile front & rear flares
- repaint whole car inside & out
- source a complete new interior
- source pair 9x15" Fuchs
- refurbish all 4 (or 5) wheels in preferred finish
- build engine to 3.0 RS spec
- rebuild/uprate braking system
- purchase tyres to suit 8's & 9's
- plus a fair amount more

Obviously you could do the bare minimum but, knowing you, that wouldn't happen ... :wink:

I don't think the end result would give you a car that provided anything that you don't already get (& more) from the 'mongrel'.

Stick with your original plan to find a swb project - or, better still get something other than a(nother) Porsche ...

Agree entirely Andy and I would love to have an Alfa in my life one day but it would be a whole new learning curve for me that I just don't have time for at this point in my life.

If I thought I could find a SWB project at this price point I'd sit tight but I do really miss having a project on the go and I've loved working with the people I know.

I've long been tempted by going wide and a 3.0RS project has been a consideration for a while since following Gibbs thread on E911SR.......you could say this is fate! :wink: .....

....and you well know bare minimum is never the way.....full FIA spec might be fun! :P

Cheers,
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Any particular reason that you have to base a project like that on a C3?
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

DustyM wrote:Any particular reason that you have to base a project like that on a C3?
Agreed. Doesn’t one of Nick’s customers have an SC with a hot engine? That might be a better and cheaper starting point.
The force is strong in this one ......
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

DustyM wrote:Any particular reason that you have to base a project like that on a C3?
...no particular reason Jon other the car becoming available although there's much about the car that makes it a good basis and being so solid is a big bonus.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

For me the main point is... if you're a project kind of person, you need a project. Very life enhancing.
Can always sell it when done, if that SWB (or other) opportunity presents itself.
I do, however, agree with Andy that I don't think the end result in this case would be hugely different (to drive) than the Mongrel.
Anyway have fun, whatever you choose.
Cheers, Richard.