Von Sauter roadster 1950

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Von Sauter roadster 1950

Post by roy mawbey »

Guys,

A Porsche friend in the States sent me this info. I knew of the ' america' but knew nothing of the predecessor to that car the Von Sauter. Porsche were fully aware of the car. I think it looks fabulous so right for the time. But in saying that it looks correct now. Found in a field rusting away now worth probably over $ one million.

I presume I have never read the right books to know this car, wish I had found it. Nice picture by Hal Thomas and article by Prescott Kelly.

Image[img]

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
TLC356
DDK Fanatic

Re: Von Sauter roadster 1950

Post by TLC356 »

Gordon Maltby in "Porsche 356 & RS Spyders" says Sauter owned a machine tool company in Stuttgart, did business with Porsche and wanted a lighter car than his '50 coupe. He bought a chassis from the factory and Klenk, who built it, later was a co-driver with Karl Kling in the Carrera Panamericana (which had to have been after he built this car, completed in Spring 1951). Malty says that Klenk ...."was regularly in touch with Porsche during construction of the car."
In addititon to sourcing the chassis from the factory, after entering a race and the Liege-Rome-Liege rally, Sauter sold the car to the factory (late '51 or '52). That said, it appears the factory knew of the car during its development and its said that the car was a test bed for the 1500cc engine. It was believed that Max Hoffman was behind some of the design ideas and that most of them were used in the America. They certainly both cars have a very similar look. I guess that makes this car a lot more important than some individuals one-off creation. So, worth over a million? Hell I'd pay more than that, but wait, that would mean I'd have to have the money!
356 Registry member #15,
'65 C Cab., '55 Pre-A coupe
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

TLC,

Thankyou for all that added information. I think its great the car has been saved and restored to this condition. Maybe its just the angle the photographer used to get that picture but the more I look at it the more I like it. I am the same as you if money was no object and if it was for sale I would buy it as well.

Now then, a fibre glass mold :wink: :wink:

Roy
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

I also owned another Sauter

This was one of approx 28 different cars built by Kurt Sauter in Switzerland. He used a variety of power plants

Mine had a 4-cam motor installed. it was fairly quick and did handle (after a fashion) but it never instilled much confidence

I have no idea how to post a picture and certainly no time to teach myself but there is a bit about it and some excellent photos in Randy Leffingwells excellent book - Porsche Legends

It was designed as a Hill Climb car and raced by Heini Walter and also appears in his book - entitled Heini Walter by Remo Bader (Page 27)

He achieved a couple of class wins in the car but also had a huge accident in it (I cannot remember where it was)
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

would love to see a picture Mike. if you have time e-mail me a photo or 2 and i'll post it for you. i'll send you my new e-mail address via DM or via your e-mail.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Hi Helen,

Off out for a Meal with John Hearn and Di (356 Registry) wil send it tomorrow

My email address is mike356@btinternet.com

Very kind regards
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
LGK6D
DDK above all

Post by LGK6D »

Mike Smith wrote:I also owned another Sauter

This was one of approx 28 different cars built by Kurt Sauter in Switzerland. He used a variety of power plants

Mine had a 4-cam motor installed. it was fairly quick and did handle (after a fashion) but it never instilled much confidence
I remember you taking me out for a run in your Sauter Mike, it was quite a memorable little red monster. What ever happened to it?
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Eventually it went to Germany but I currently have no idea - just hope someone is enjoying it

Editted by Helen to add Photo =
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Oh Mike, the cars you have owned! If your Sauter looked anything like the silver one wow, and a 4 cam engine in it :roll: . You mention Switzerland and Sauter. I wonder if he knew Beutler the early 356 cab builders just along the lake from Thun?

Thank you Helen, I really hope you get a picture on so I can see Mike's version.

I wonder if somewhere another one is hidden in a barn?

Roy
john ruston
DDK forever

Post by john ruston »

I bought car from Mike Smith and kept it for about a year.

Took it to the Oldtimers at Ring in about 2004 but it was not that clever so sold it to Fritz Koska who used it in M M and similar stuff before selling it for what at the time was a small fortune but would be small change in the market today.