1965 Porsche 356C Couple Transformed into Oulaw

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

balkowitsch
DDK Fanatic

1965 Porsche 356C Couple Transformed into Oulaw

Post by balkowitsch »

I wanted to share my little build with everyone. I purchased the car unseen except for the photographs you see and it was transported to Texas into the able hands of Bill Hamilton. He restored his first 356 in 1971. We are completely restoring the car from media blasting on up. The build will take a year and I am posting new photographs to the site weekly. Expected completion date for the entire build is late summer of 2010. I have never seen my car in person and I have never driven in a 356 before, very exciting.

www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm

I have shared my car with an exclusive 356 talk board and my car was slammed for not going back completely to stock. Lets say they did not like an Outlaw entering town. Thanks for letting me share, I would welcome any input or suggestions.

Picture of car as I purchased it, it was completely disassembled and all the pieces were in cardboard boxes. The car has not been road worthy for over 22 years and sat untouched for over 2 decades.
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw
Don't Hate Me for My Outlaw Tendencies
http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

Looks fantastic shane!!

I'd love an outlaw, will enjoy watching this, thanks for sharing.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

mycar

Re: 1965 Porsche 356C Couple Transformed into Oulaw

Post by mycar »

balkowitsch wrote: I have never seen my car in person and I have never driven in a 356 before, very exciting.
:lol: You are my hero. Welcome to DDk Shane, the car`s looking good. Like Jason, I love the idea of a 356 outlaw and look forward to watching the progress.

I`ve looked in on the 356 registry from time to time and I know what you mean. They are, how shall we say.... very focused over there. :) I think you`ll find us a lot more enthusiastic here on DDk.

Regards, Mike.
58A - 71E
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 1965 Porsche 356C Couple Transformed into Oulaw

Post by 58A - 71E »

mycar wrote:Welcome to DDk Shane, the car`s looking good. Like Jason, I love the idea of a 356 outlaw and look forward to watching the progress.
Echo the above, welcome and will watch with interest - any ideas you care to share on final look, spec etc?
mycar wrote:I`ve looked in on the 356 registry from time to time and I know what you mean. They are, how shall we say.... very focused over there. :) I think you`ll find us a lot more enthusiastic here on DDk.

Regards, Mike.
:lol: Very diplomatic Mike - my total post count on the 356 registry forum is I think 3....welcome to the friendly side of the pond :wink:
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

58A - 71E

Post by 58A - 71E »

Gary71 wrote:Looks fantastic 8) Your outlaw 356 will be more than welcome on this site!

What's you final plan for the look? Do you have a car you are using for inspiration?
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

58A - 71E

Post by 58A - 71E »

MikeB wrote:Must admit, I really like a bumperless C, I think the front end looks so much better.

One day I might actually be able to afford to buy one, but the darn things keep getting dearer every time I trade up :P

Look forward to seeing it get completed
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

58A - 71E

Post by 58A - 71E »

balkowitsch wrote:
Gary71 wrote:Looks fantastic 8) Your outlaw 356 will be more than welcome on this site!

What's you final plan for the look? Do you have a car you are using for inspiration?
The car is being painted K45-286 Silver, got the paint codes from the curator at the Porsche Museum, it will be the same color of the First Porsche as it sits at the Museum. It is going to have a wide WHITE race stripe down the center. GT Mirror on the drivers side and rock guards for the front headlights. I am painting the dash the same white as the stripe which is a little different. Black leather throughout with heavy thick white thread for the stitching. The wood steering wheel you see and MiniLite wheels.

Thanks,
Shane
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

58A - 71E

Post by 58A - 71E »

Helen wrote:8) thats very nice indeed.

i'm moving this post to the 356 section so it dosn't get lost in all the posts in the General section.

as it'll be good to see more of this car :P
EDIT - Helen I've combined the threads

Shane - better to have one thread only :)
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

Nice one - like the other posters I'm really looking forward to following the progress of your "outlaw" build - I've got an additional interest as I have a 356SC in "mild outlaw" spec' - 1720cc Barry Curtis engine, Nardi woodrim wheel, Fuchs alloys , de-bumpered etc and I've just bought a pair of 964 RS seats to fit to it having been "inspired" by this !

http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car13.html

Hope your build goes well and love the website you've designed for the car

Steve
balkowitsch
DDK Fanatic

Inspired, You Can Say That Again

Post by balkowitsch »

sng45 wrote:Nice one - like the other posters I'm really looking forward to following the progress of your "outlaw" build - I've got an additional interest as I have a 356SC in "mild outlaw" spec' - 1720cc Barry Curtis engine, Nardi woodrim wheel, Fuchs alloys , de-bumpered etc and I've just bought a pair of 964 RS seats to fit to it having been "inspired" by this !

http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car13.html

Hope your build goes well and love the website you've designed for the car

Steve
Yes, I have seen that outlaw, it is an amazing accomplishment, who would not get inspired by such a piece of automotive perfection, thanks for sharing and thanks for following along.

Thanks,
Shane
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

No 57 is the most definitive Outlaw 356?

I too will watch most attentively even if I am a 911 man for more than 2 decades. :drunken:
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

356 registry... what's that then? :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Jez 356
Married to the DDK

Coool

Post by Jez 356 »

This looks like a cools project to follow Shane

Are you installing a roll cage?

I do like the idea of minilites - what sort of tryes are you going to do? There is a lovely black 356 on here that tried low profile tyres but ended up with more standard height tyre walls - still looks very cool.

There seems to be a mixture of race car / GT / custom so any news ideas would be great.

Welcome Shane

What sort of engine or work are you going to do to your motor?

I now have a 741 gearbox and 63 356B S motor in my 356A. Now that the carbs are working better I am planning to get some miles under it before the trip to Le Mans in July!!!

All the best

Jeremy
Jez
1956 356A
www.356registry.org/Members/Mardle/index.html to see my car but the pics needs updating.
High mileage workhorse 02 Chrysler PT Cruiser CRD
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

58A - 71E wrote:
Helen wrote:8) thats very nice indeed.

i'm moving this post to the 356 section so it dosn't get lost in all the posts in the General section.

as it'll be good to see more of this car :P
EDIT - Helen I've combined the threads

Shane - better to have one thread only :)

Nice one :thumbup: . I'm really enoying this thread.
very inspiring, My next project is definatly (maybe) going to be an outlaw :P just got to finish and move on from my inLaw project first. :lol:
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
balkowitsch
DDK Fanatic

Engine

Post by balkowitsch »

We have not really gotten to the mechanical part of the build yet, just some early discussions. I have purchased Stebro Quad Performance Exhaust, we are going to go with Weber Carbs, Scat lightweight crankshaft, Nickies for cylinders are on my wish list. We are trying to get at least 125HP out of the motor, that is are goal, without sacrificing reliability. As we further nail down all the performance upgrades, I will be sure to share it.

Thanks,
Shane
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw