Okrasa Special

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Okrasa Special

Post by steve wright »

I thought you guys might be interested in a car I bought last year. It’s an English “special” built in the 1950's, comprising Porsche/VW mechanicals in a spaceframe chassis to Porsche 550 Spyder dimensions, with a mid-engined Okrasa engine. I bought it because quite apart from being rare as an English built car using German parts in post-war Britain, when the opportunity presented itself to create rather than restore something it proved irresistible. The car was built by a chap called David Small, who owned the Farnham Porsche and VW dealership in Surrey up until the late ‘70’s. It was driven up Oulton road in Farnham in May 1961 in this state for shakedown testing, easily seeing 100mph before being pushed into the back of the dealership workshop where it then sat for the next 46 years! Keith Seume bought it about five years ago and then sold it onto me last year.
Image[/img]
Image[/img]

I managed to track David down this time last year and was privileged to be able to speak with the designer and builder of the car. Despite being in his eighties he instantly remembered the car and reeled off specifications and various parts he had used. He was amazed that the car still existed and touched that someone had tracked him down to research the car in order to finish it. David built eight previous specials prior to this one and raced against Colin Chapman in the 1950’s - he was also a qualified mechanical engineer and a gifted guy who patently knew what he was doing as he built this car from scratch. As you can see from the photos the heart of the car is a square tube space-frame chassis with aircraft-style aluminium panelling, housing all the major components (engine, gearbox, petrol tank, etc) within the wheelbase of the car. David was clear that it was built as a road-going sportscar, but it has many obvious race car influences such as the right hand gear-change, adjustable engine cooling flap on the underside of the car, etc.
Image[/img]
Image[/img]

The engine, a brand new Okrasa TSV-1300 unit was imported from Germany in 1958: the engine comprises a new 69.5mm forged crank, Okrasa’s own twin port heads of similar specification to Porsche, twin Solex carbs on tall manifolds, higher compression, remote oil cooling, and a new cam to assist in making the most of the package, almost doubling the VW output to 55hp, which should prove useful in a car weighing about 500 kg’s as it currently stands.
[/img]ImageImage[/img]
Image[/img]

I’ll post photos as the car progresses and thought I would open up its development to the combined expertise that exists on the forum. If you have ideas or views on what I should change, leave, or design I’d love to know what you think.

Cheers, Steve
Last edited by steve wright on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'53 356 Pre-A (a box of bits!)
'54 Okrasa/Porsche/VW special
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper
'70 911S (2.3 ST Le-Mans spec engine)

http://www.pushrod.org

http://www.classicporschemag.co.uk
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Love this car.... particularly the ghia roof shape as a starting point for some attractive flowing lines...
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

What a great project! Will be fascinating watching the development of the shape.
The roof line and rear of the chassis seem to be crying out for a pointed tail of some sort perhaps.....
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've seen this car in the flesh, and it's fantastic! The use of the roof is inspired, and it's placement spot-on.

A lot of thought has obviously gone into the design of this car, and the end result has the potential to be very special 8) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Steve,

Now thats something really different. You should have some fun designing the bodywork as the basis is all there. Interesting project looking at it, the car looks very small, ideal for your son Connor! Make some wooden former bucks like they did for the early Gmund cars and get the hammer out.

Hey, can you imagine him taking the driving test in that in about 12 years time! Make that your goal!

All the best

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

Thanks for all the kind words gents. I'll post pictures of the first service and first drive next week, then some snaps on bodywork ideas I've had.

A boat-tail rear, now there's something different Mike! I'm using cardboard and polystyrene to play about with shapes so I'll try out the idea next week when I'm down there.

Roy, I hope you're well. Thanks again for allowing me to feature your car - I think it's due out next month. Surprisingly the car is Tardis like: small on the outside but big inside. I'm 6'3 and fit easily, with plenty of leg and headroom. The original owner was a big chap so obviously made sure hit could fit.

Getting in and out isn't easy. It's best to do it bum first, then swing your legs in otherwise you get into all sorts of positions and you have to watch the gearknob :shock:

Cheers, Steve
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper

Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

What a fantastic project/opportunity !
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
KS

Post by KS »

Steve, I'm intrigued when you say "David Small …was amazed that the car still existed and touched that someone had tracked him down to research the car in order to finish it." as it was David that sold me the car and has called me since about it, partly to check that you were genuine(!). Naturally,I put him straight on that... Ho ho! But he most certainly knew it existed, as he had roughly fixed it up and drove it round the yard a day or two before I collected it. We also spoke at various times since.

I knew of this car for over 30 years and was delighted when he had his sales manager (Noel Armstrong) call me to ask if I would like it. Had I not bought it, I believe it would have been broken up. Sadly, it is only the current economic situation that led me to have to make the painful decision to sell. I have no garage, with little prospect of one on the horizon.

My advice? Keep it simple and true to the original concept.
Last edited by KS on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

My my, a hot rod! 8)

This will be great fun to follow over the next months for sure.

Maybe some of us could sketch a few renderings of how we might see the final body? (assuming the Coupe top stays). It looks to be in the right spot for a well shaped car.

Should it be a 50's/60's style in keeping with the heritage or further up the time ladder?
I would think the former personally.

Love to see these kind of projects. Will keep the blood warm for a long time! :drunken:
defianty

Post by defianty »

Great project, I wondered what happened to this car. Looking forward to following the build thread.
911hillclimber wrote:Maybe some of us could sketch a few renderings of how we might see the final body?
Nice idea :wink:

Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

Hi Keith, I trust you're well. Perhaps I should've highlighted that it was the detailing of the car which he remembered so well, for instance that it had Ford master cylinders, which was amazing given he built it almost 50 years ago - I know my memory isn't that good! I'll post photos of the 550 Spyder bodywork installed in a few weeks time. Kind regards, Steve
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper

steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

wow! I love the drawings - better than I managed with my son's sketch pad and a crayon over Christmas! I really would appreciate the ideas ad sketches everyone has as this is one of the best bits about the car in my view. As Barry pointed out to me when he looked over it, as soon as it's finished it's just another Special, whereas there will only ever be one build process.

Given the advanced (for the time) thinking I must admit I'm erring on the early to mid-sixties for the bodywork. David was pretty advanced in his mechanical and engineering work, I'll post more pictures next week of some of the detail, and it was pushed into the workshop in May 1961 so any point from that date on seems best, but as I said before I'd love input and commentary from the forum as it's the best way to build up ideas.

Keep 'em coming.

cheers,
Steve
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper

roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Stephen,

Wow, for a few hours work you are on the way I think. You are a clever fellow and your software certainly is!

I bet Steve will like the principle. Seem to think though I seen parts of your design before!

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
defianty

Post by defianty »

roy mawbey wrote:Stephen,

Wow, for a few hours work you are on the way I think. You are a clever fellow and your software certainly is!

I bet Steve will like the principle. Seem to think though I seen parts of your design before!

Roy
Thanks Roy. A combination of enjoying this kind of thing and wondering what to do with my Xmas holiday :lol: not used to having this amount of time off.

As you can probably see the comp is made up from a slightly modified 550 rear. The front is 550 again but with the nose slightly extended to balance better. Doors and windows modified from a 356. Easy to do in Photoshop, wouldn't know where to start with a sheet of steel :lol:
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Mike

Post by Mike »

then at the other extreme there's a modern theme :shock:

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue