911 SC 3.2 Hotlaw/Outrod

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Brewster
Married to the DDK

911 SC 3.2 Hotlaw/Outrod

Post by Brewster »

Warning - Fans of originality should step away from this thread. Turn back before all of the silly things I'm doing make your p*ss boil and give you nightmares about Dr Porsche spinning in his grave faster than a 935's turbocharger halfway down Mulsanne.

I've had a number of Porsches in the last 10 years. I started out with an SC Targa, then traded "up" to a 993, then a 996 C4S (huge mistake), then "down" to a 968CS then down even further to the lowly and tired SC coupé which this thread concerns.

I've had Gretel for the last 3 years. I bought it for a song before prices went silly. It was very tired and I bought it with open eyes. Since then I've done a full brake refresh and replaced the old heat exchangers with a stainless 2 in 2 out system. In January last year I bought a new house which had a proper workshop. After making the house liveable I did what any bloke worth his salt does and decided to take my old car to pieces.

As the car was arguably the lowest of the aircooled 911s I thought there would be no harm in turning it into my ideal hotrod style car. Not with a view to tracking it, just to obtain the maximum driving pleasure for me. So, lose a bit of weight, increase the power slightly, styling to suit my tastes, etc.

I love the classic 911 silhouette so the tea tray had to go. I also like the impact bumper look, but not the weight of the bumpers. I decided to go with EB Motorsport SCRS narrowbody bumpers and a 964 engine lid. I haven't decided whether to have the engine lid operated by a rocker switch or just off the ignition (through a relay). I test fitted these;

They required very little fettling to fit and the quality seems really good. The notches on the rear bumper for the little reflectors will be going in place of a smooth rear. I'll be changing one of my rear clusters to have a fog light in to negate the need for the bolted on one.

Once I'd decided on a bodyshop to cut out the rust and respray the whole car I dropped the engine and gearbox;

I thought about rebuilding the engine myself. It was rattly and down on power with what sounded like a little piston slap on #1. I'm reasonably handy with some spanners and if it was a Golf GTi engine that, if I messed up, I could buy another to rebuild for £500 I'd have attacked it. However, that's not the case so I decided to farm out the rebuild to Ben at Rennspeed in Gainsborough. He's a great guy and an excellent mechanic. I've used him for work on my cars for some time and he's always got an engine or two on the go.

After the credit card took a big dent these arrived from FVD in Germany;

A 98mm Mahle "Max Moritz" kit taking the 3.0 engine out to a 3.2 short stroke with a 10.3:1 compression ratio. These are designed to work with CIS and single plug heads. I spoke to John Dougherty in the states, explaining what spec my engine was going to be and he's made me a set of cams to suits these P&Cs and the fact I'm keeping CIS.

I have a receipt in my history detailing a rather expensive engine rebuild by a Peterborough firm around 4 years before I bought the car and about 15k miles ago. However, given the state of the engine noise and the lack of power I found it hard to believe. I took the engine to Ben's place and we set about splitting it to see what's what.

We found that the P&Cs were indeed knackered. They look like they'd been badly machined in the past, although where and when is hard to tell. They were very slack and there was some scoring on a couple of them. The Max Mortiz was money well spent it seemed. I did have some luck though. All the head studs had already been replaced with dilivar ones and they were all well set. £700 saved;

Also, it had been fitted with a new oil pump and intermediate shaft in the recent past too;

All the exhaust valves were nice and snug. The inlets were a little loose so new guides will get pressed in for those. Essentially though, there was nothing worrying in the engine and it should be a straightforward bolt back together with the new parts and hey presto, 230-240bhp.

The interior was ripped out and then the shell was dropped off at the bodyshop for remediation and a full respray;

New B-posts required;

The kidney bowls had already been replaced with the later hockey stick type and were still solid thankfully. Just a clean up and reseal for those. The front wings needed some work;

There were a number of other parts that needed some fab and fix. It's had good metal wherever it needed it though. The inner wings were surprisingly solid. The outer sills needed some attention though. The car is currently being prepped for paint and should be ready in the next few weeks. At which point I start bolting it back together, including;

Superpro bushes all round and new fast road Bilsteins;

New D-Zug HID headlights;

New headlining, grey RS carpet set, Black RS doorcards plus dark grey alcantara dash top and door top trims;

Get rid of the old heavy seats for these;

16" 7&8J Fuchs refurbed by Nick Moss to go on;;

The gearbox was crunchy on 2nd and 3rd so Ben is also rebuilding that, but I'll keep the ratios the same. I've decided on fitting a Quaife LSD (or not really an LSD) so I can wave my willy in the pub. It's getting a J West Rennshifter and coupler too thanks to a group buy run by Amallagh on here.

I'm hoping to have it all back together for this summer so watch this space. I'll update as I go along. No doubt I'll have 101 question when putting it back together anyway.

Cheers,

Brewster
1982 911 SC 3.6 backdate restomod
1971 Speedster Replica
Uk911
DDK forever

Re: 911 SC 3.2 Hotlaw/Outrod

Post by Uk911 »

Very nice, keep up the good work, can I ask who did the dash and door trims in alcantara for you and the cost, you can pm me if you don't want to post it on the thread.........cheers Mark..
Brewster
Married to the DDK

Post by Brewster »

A company called BAMD manufactured the dash. When I spoke to Adam there he said I had a number of options. They will supply a dash covered in original(ish) vinyl, but as I'm not bothered about originality when he mentioned grey alcantara my ear pricked up. It would have looked silly with original door tops though so I sent them to BAMD to be covered too. The total cost was about £550 and it took a couple of months to turn round.

I managed to destroy my original dash trying to remove it. They are horrendously, four-figure, expensive for an original. I can't comment on fit of this new one just yet as my car is still in for paint. It's a fibreglass cast that's covered, not the soft touch foam of the original. The finish is excellent though. I just hope it's not too difficult to fit. It looks like it might need a little massaging, but that might just be my wonky eyes.
1971 Speedster Replica
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Great build and a nice change to original only outlook, bit after my own heart.
I was part of the Group Buy too, should be fitting the shifter soon.

I have another car, a race car with a 915 box and one of those LSD's.
They work great.

Lot of updates and a million pictures please. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Brewster
Married to the DDK

Post by Brewster »

Thanks. Let me know how you get on with the shifter. I've only read good things, although coupled with a rebuild it'll be hard for me to be objective on just the shifter and it's workings.
1971 Speedster Replica
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Brewster wrote:A company called BAMD manufactured the dash. When I spoke to Adam there he said I had a number of options. They will supply a dash covered in original(ish) vinyl, but as I'm not bothered about originality when he mentioned grey alcantara my ear pricked up. It would have looked silly with original door tops though so I sent them to BAMD to be covered too. The total cost was about £550 and it took a couple of months to turn round.

I managed to destroy my original dash trying to remove it. They are horrendously, four-figure, expensive for an original. I can't comment on fit of this new one just yet as my car is still in for paint. It's a fibreglass cast that's covered, not the soft touch foam of the original. The finish is excellent though. I just hope it's not too difficult to fit. It looks like it might need a little massaging, but that might just be my wonky eyes.

Interesting - and they're Uk based? Looks like a good alternative for RHD dashes
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Brewster
Married to the DDK

Post by Brewster »

Yes. Oxfordshire I think. The chap there said they hadn't widely advertised them previously. The company make dashboards for Aston Martin Vantage race cars, plus other carbon fibre and GRP automotive stuff. He made a mould for his own 3.2 backdate and decided to run a few more off. Like I say, I can't wholeheartedly recommend them just yet until I've tested the fit, but the alcantara finish is stunning, on both my own trim pieces and the dash they've made. That's not to say I don't think it'll fit, just that I would hate for people to rush out and buy one on my mention of them until I know for definite.

Here's their website;

http://www.bamdltd.co.uk/
1971 Speedster Replica
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Will watch with interest- cheers
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

Looks brilliant, love a hot rod IB car. The alcantara really is a nice finish for trim parts. Take care waving your willy in the pub.
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
GP911
Married to the DDK

Post by GP911 »

Love it, the car, not your pub antics.
3.2 Carrera.
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

Brewster wrote:Warning - Fans of originality should step away from this thread. Turn back before all of the silly things I'm doing make your p*ss boil .............
I'm not sure why people get the impression that DDK-ers have an issue with non-originality. There are plenty of well-regarded hotrods here as well as non-factory fixes/improvements - and I can't remember anyone getting flamed for veering off from the true path*.

Keep the updates going, I'm interested to see how the 964 tail works out.

>C
PS *17" Cup wheels on any pre-89 911 excepted
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

Cool project, I look forward to seeing it progress

My SC also has SCRS(ish) front bumper but as no one offered them at the time, I had to make one to suit:
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Hi Brewster
Thought you'd pop up here eventually!
Following our PH conversation I also have the d- zug lights going into "Jaffa" my SC/3.2 hotrod.
It had a a load of great speed/suspension parts when i bougt in US so not much work needed there.......
Staying more stock than you on exterior [apart from paint] for time being.
Brown RS carpet set, Orange roll bar, satin chrome rennshift [from group buy- thanks Amallagh!] , wooden Nardi wheel and custom wood 917 knob going in this week and that will do for he time being- need to drive it!
Will have more pix etc on the "jaffa" thread next week.
Will do rest of interior later this year- so v. interested in your dash etc,
Jaffa and I will be at RS Oulton track day and Goodwood members meetin next month................
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Brewster
Married to the DDK

Post by Brewster »

Thanks for the kind comments guys. It's not that DDK seems against modification as such, but with the rise in values the general tone around ownership has become a little more stuffy. If I was doing this as an exercise in increasing the car's market value then standard would be the way to go. I intend to keep this one forever though, so making it the car I always wanted seems the right thing to do.

I forgot to mention; those tailpipes will be much shorter and stainless by the time I've finished.

I'll keep the thread updated. I can't wait to be back on the road.
1971 Speedster Replica
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Nobody is stuffy on here, hot rods, bog standards and many In between are normal.

Values have gone up for many reasons, few to do with DDK, most to do with dealers and magazines.

I've had my hot rod since 1988 and nothing unusual about that here.

You are in good company on here.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9