"Le Belgique" ST build.

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

"Le Belgique" ST build.

Post by stretch »

Now that i have somewhere to work on my car, i thought it was about time that i started to do some work on it and start a thread of my build. I bought this car around 4 years ago after an elderly gentleman answered my wanted add in classic car weekly.

Due to an abandoned move to Le Francais, and a house move ,the car has sat idle in the corner of my old leaking shed ever since. Fast forward to 2013. Having previously owned a 2.2S and a 2.4T, I decided that i wanted to build a replica 2.3 ST. This being a non sunroof car and LHD made this the perfect candidate.

i had already decided that the car was going to be painted in Yellow. My favourite colour on an early 911. Then i decided that i wanted to make this a tribute car of a period competition ST that competed back in 1970.

So, this past week or so i got my sleeves rolled up and started to strip the shell. There are not to many suprises as yet. One thing i do remember from 4 years ago is that the shell was pretty decent. Apart from the usual rust areas, sills, B posts and the front edge of the rear wings. I was pretty confident that there would only be small rust repairs required here and there. Only time will tell.

Usual B post, kidney bowl, sill rot.

Floor looking ok on this side.

A rare sight. No rot in the rear parcel shelf area.

This is probably due to this car last seeing the road in 1982 !
The previous owner purchased the car in 1984, and it had sat in his garage for over 25 years without turning a wheel.

Car mounted on the spit today. Big thanks to Mick ( MT) for all his help today. Underseal removal next.

Dave
Last edited by stretch on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: "La Granny" ST build.

Post by Darren65 »

Excellent, looking forward to this. :)

Love the old tax disc 8)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

About time Dave!

Let's hear about the intended final spec ... :wink:
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
pht9
DDK forever

Post by pht9 »

Dave, watching with interest, sure it will be a great build - nice shell !
stretch

Post by stretch »

Passenger side underseal removed today. No major issues.

Yes Andy, it has been a long while coming due to various reasons. It is also becoming very difficult and expensive to source the correct parts in good condition.

The specification ? I am hoping to build this car as accurately as possible. So, it will be to the April 1970 Document for, vehicles for sports purposes.

Bodywork: steel 9" rear ST arches. Fibreglass front ST wings. Fibreglass front and rear bumpers.
Fibreglass bonnet, Aluminium engine lid, and original doors with Aluminium door skins. Underseal deleted.

Wheels will be 9 x 15 minilites on the rear. These are not the heavy cast UK wheels. The one's i have found are only 0,9 kilo's heavier than the original Magnesium version. Fronts are early 7 x 15 inch fuchs.

Interior : No sound insulation. deletion of the following: ashtray, glove box door, door cappings. all interior panels. The interior will be furnished with a correct 40mm ST roll bar. unbound needlefelt carpet to rear seatpan area. Lightweight ribbed matting to the floorpan area. Simplified lightweight door panels. Dead pedal footrest.

Drivers seat is an early original 300 schalensitze, with a replica scheel standard 300 bucket seat mounted on scheel GT lightweight sliders.

380mm steering wheel with hockey puck. 2 dash mounted Bosch CDI ignition switches.
Euro KPH gauges inc an original 10k tacho. Lighting will be Hella SWB housings, Hella clear glass lenses housing a pair of 7" Marchal amplilux headlights.

Standard S suspension, brakes, etc. 100 litre plastic race fuel tank.

As the 2.3 ST was based on the 911S, i found myself on the lookout for an S parts car from which i could accumulate some of the hard to find, and expensive parts for my future build.

A fellow DDK'r advertised such a car. I like to call her "swampy 2" as it looks like she was pulled from one! Beyond saving, but perfect for what i needed her for. Through the sill oil lines, oil thermostat, S calipers, engine, MFI system. All the parts i was looking for.

The engine : This will be, the Type 911/20 twin plugged MFI injection engine. 1st generation ST 2247cc. 10.3.1. high compression 85mm pistons. Built on an original 2.2s 1970 magnesium crankcase.

A few photo's of the original car.

1970 Le mans

I971 Le mans

1998 C2 996 Kettle
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice project, will be watching this one. Hope you do it a little quicker than I did mine though!
Are you going with the high butterflies?
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Now that sounds about as sexy as it gets! 8)

I think you should take the word Granny out of the thread title! :wink:
stretch

Post by stretch »

Granny sounds sexy to me Darren :lol: It is in there for a reason. All in good time :wink:

Mike, No, i will not be running HB's. I have done a lot of research on this subject. They were not installed on the 1st generation ST engine. These were first installed on the 2.5 ST. There are rumours of prototype HB's being fitted to the second generation 2.3ST engine, but nobody i have spoken too, Matt blast, and a few other experts have ever seen a set.

Have a great day with the launch of your superb car. I hope to see you and the car in Essen.

Dave
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

stretch wrote:Grannies look sexy to me Darren
Each to their own! :shock:
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Dave, I've been looking forward to this thread for a while... this is going to be great!

Not sure about La Granny, better than LaFerrari though :wink: But I'm sure you have good reasons :roll:
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Looks like it's going to be a great build. Is Swampy 2 really beyond saving, though? There can't be that many early RHD 911s left.
endo911rs
DDK Newbie

Post by endo911rs »

Looking good Dave!
'67S
'69S
'70ST
'71E
'72T
'73T targa
'78SC backdate
'90 C2
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Nice looking project. Very nice in fact.

What is the appendage on the passenger door? The guy in overalls is having a look at it too:

James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Looks like a light to illuminate the race number on the door
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
stretch

Post by stretch »

2 points to Mick.

My discussion with one of the drivers. How cool is that.

"Thank you very much for your email and your great interest in this car ! I’m honoured and flattered by your project and will do my best to help you.There are some two points that I can already clarify with you, but for the other details, I’m meeting Mr Gaban beginning of March and will talk it over with him and send you further information.- The 911S driven in Le Mans in 1971 is the same one as the one in 1970.- The Marker lights for the Race number are indeed very unusual as they were the VW Beetle plate number lights (from those days) !! Enclosed some photos that I had in my office (2 at the 1000km of Francorchamps and 1 in Le Mans 1970). I have others that I have to dig out of my archives and will get back to you with the other details from Mr Gaban.
Best regards, Willy Braillard

look familiar !

Dave

1998 C2 996 Kettle