Notchback Restoration

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Notchback Restoration

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

After owning my Notchback for 2 (or is it 3) years, it is time for it to emerge and for the pain to begin. The plan is to have a pretty standard car as they are so rare now, this is one 16 RHD notchbacks built for the UK market of which only 2 (maybe 3) are left.

So don't bother suggesting I cut the roof off! Anyway I have a cab already.

I am going to have the body etc bead blasted so as to work out the full extent of the damage. Here it is emerging for the first time and looking rustier than I remember:

Fortunately I have everything for the car safely tucked away, including new nose and wings. I still have the originals but they are pretty rotten and will probably be thrown at some point.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

After losing a fair amount of skin and a few hours of frustration/patience, the wiring loom is out.

(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Hendrik,

Are you going to be the one who replaces it? I reckon its a tough job to do unless you really know what you are doing.

Interesting project indeed.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Hi Roy,

Yes I'm looking forward to getting into it. I am planning to do this project over a number of years as I'm not in a rush to have another finished car.
With regards to the wiring loom, I'm definitely going to have someone else to do the wiring loom as I'm no good with electrics.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

356ist wrote: I'm definitely going to have someone else to do the wiring loom as I'm no good with electrics.
Vehicle Wiring Services? One of our advertisers :wink:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Could be.
However there's LOTS of metalwork etc to get through before I even think about that.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

Bootsy wrote:
356ist wrote: I'm definitely going to have someone else to do the wiring loom as I'm no good with electrics.
Vehicle Wiring Services? One of our advertisers :wink:
+1. I get all my electrical stuff from those guys.
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Hi
did this car come frrom a guy in Bradford?
I am a person of simple pleasures so if you don't have any simple pleasures to offer me, beer, pizza or Porsche bits etc kindly leave me be, XX.
58herbie
DDK addict

Post by 58herbie »

Hendrik.

if you need a hand with the electrics then i can help when needed. i am an auto electrician by trade.

any news or pics on the wings and nose panel.

jon
1960 356T5b original uk matching numbers car...
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Dakota, no it didn't come out of Bradford. Why do you ask? Do you know of another car?

Will sort out the photos this week Jon. Thanks for the offer on the electrics, like I said there's going to be lots of welding before I even think about that.

Took the shell in for bead blasting yesterday after finally getting all the little bits, fuel lines, handbrake cables etc off the car. Should be ready early next week when I will take some photos of the new colander!
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Hi
years ago I took a chap from Bradford to look at a preA coup'e in Essex I can't remember his name but he had a notchback he was restoring which I think was RHD , I think that was his reason for doing it as it was rare, very.. As for the PreA that was RHD and a 1500S to boot overall a very nice car really , it was stock but finished in Carrera Pan America signwriting and thats what put the guy off it.
I am a person of simple pleasures so if you don't have any simple pleasures to offer me, beer, pizza or Porsche bits etc kindly leave me be, XX.
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Interesting, the notchback has definitely fallen off the radar, will have to start searching the local garages!
I think I know the PreA with Panamerica signwrighting, the car is now in Germany.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

I must admit, I hadnt really seen one before. What spec are they. Were there many made. Certainly looks interesting.
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

They were built by Karmann for Porsche and weren't that popular at the time, I think production was about 2000 cars? The spec was the same as standard cars, but when you sit in one they is a lot more glass and you feel there is more space.

Basically they are a cabriolet body with a roof welded in, a lot of cars have been converted to cabriolets. Like I said above they only produced 16 RHD cars for the UK market, of which I have I know of one other as well as two possibles (one in Bradford? and one seen in Birmingham in the 90s). Whether they exist still, who knows.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

356ist wrote:They were built by Karmann for Porsche and weren't that popular at the time, I think production was about 2000 cars? The spec was the same as standard cars, but when you sit in one they is a lot more glass and you feel there is more space.

Basically they are a cabriolet body with a roof welded in, a lot of cars have been converted to cabriolets. Like I said above they only produced 16 RHD cars for the UK market, of which I have I know of one other as well as two possibles (one in Bradford? and one seen in Birmingham in the 90s). Whether they exist still, who knows.
Thank you. That certainly have a great look to them.....

I wonder how many of thre RHD cars are left........ What a barn find tat would be :wink: