356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Re: 356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Post by greg356a »

Good 1/2 days work today. With a friends help, finished some welding jobs; handbrake tubes, accelerator tube bracket and a earth nut. More importantly cut a big hole in the bonnet. As always still more to do, but another few ticks off the list.

Rich - thanks for the idea with the laser, worked a treat.

Fuel cell bladder

Nick still cracking jokes under the mask :lol:
Also need to get a length of retractable ducting for the next part.

Forgot to take the dogs bowl with me so still need to cut and fit the drip tray

1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Glad to help Greg.

Looking great. What's your plan regarding fixing the rain tray (dog bowl) to the neck?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Morning Rich,

I guess the dog bowl will work but not very different or inspiring.

I found these made to measure tank straps that would look great in black fitted to my tank;

Last edited by greg356a on Tue May 24, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Looking good Greg.

A couple of queries to help me when it comes to making the big hole in the bonnet:

- How did you center the hole in the bonnet with the tank filler neck; using a lazer level?

- could you measure both the overall thickness of the bonnet where you have opened up the filler hole and also the size of the gap between the outer and inner skin?

- Are you looking to borrow Rich's design for the aluminum ring in the bonnet? If so, have you found somewhere to get one turned?

Will be updating my thread soon - engine fitted........
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Good questions H-G

Make sure bonnet is located as you want it when closed, lift bonnet and line the laser guide to centre of fuel tank cap/ pipe, but below the bonnet line when lifted. I ran cross laser lines through square to front/ back/ side to side etc and marked on the car the intersections on the wings, scuttle and front lip. I then pushed the car back closed the bonnet and pushed forward to line the cross laser up with line on wings, scuttle etc. This should give the correct position. I also measured with a tape several times which is difficult due to bonnet curves etc. I started with a 2 mm pilot hole which I ran a welding rod through to the fuel pipe/ cap below. As you open the bonnet a little you can see the position. I got a 120 mm tank cutter from the usual ebay and took it slow, low torque so not to break my wrist. I kept the cutter parallel to the bonnet line as I wanted the fuel cap to site level. Hope this makes sense.

I will get the measurements when next at the garage, pain car not being at home.

With regards to aluminium ring I have not made a decision yet, I do like what Rich as done. I kind of wonder if a simple laser cut ring would work, or if I could get someone to make a thin plate ring with a return. Also thought about some sort of leather circular protector, or most likely fill the cavity with fibre glass and smooth off.

Look forward to seeing the engine fitted any video footage?
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

This may make it more clearer Ian.

Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Black Betty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Black Betty »

I measured the hole in my bonnet exactly the same :wink:

Because the bonnet has 'two layers' (which are appr. 2.5 cm from each other) and the bonnet closes in an angle, I had to make the hole of 'the second layer' slightly bigger than the snug fit of the top layer (which closes neatly around the gas cap).

In the space between the two layers I glued (and screwed) some (petrol resistant) closed cell foam, sealing the two layers:

And the rubber I made around the cup seals on that closed cell foam:

Which makes it fluid closed (rain and spilled petrol gets collected in the SS bowl/cup (which is a SS dog feeding bowl).

Works perfectly:
It's better to burn out, than to fade away
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Black Betty gas cap and tank looks great. Also like the idea of a chemical resistant insert between the two bonnet walls. Initially due to the UK test (IVA) we have to use a gas cap which is lockable or tethered. Did you weld the up stand rib to you gas cap and then powder coat it?
Confess to being a bit sad, so been looking at SS mixing bowls which have a large taper and radius at the bottom (like yours) rather than the square edges on the dog bowl. Also like the steel straps to hold the tank down similar to the original 356 tanks.
:)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Fabulous work. Well done!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Black Betty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Black Betty »

I welded an aluminium fin on a steel gas cap. I did that with Durafix ( http://www.durafixeasyweld.nl/index.php ... me&lang=EN ) and then I had the cap powdercoated. The result is great (in my opinion) and the fin holds up great. I recently found an original aluminium Blau gas cap and I'm planning to weld the fin also with durafix and then brush the fin and cap with scotch brite...

This is the look I will be aiming for:

The straps I used for the tank are alumium with a leather (which are actually two belts) underlayer...

And the bowl could well be a mixing bowl and not a dog bowl... I'm not sure... I bought it at the local home depot.
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Thanks for the pic Rich.

Liking the leather stank straps idea; not sure Mr IVA would look to kindly on it though?

Do you have the specifications for the fuel resistant closed cell foam you used Black Betty? Is the foam solid enough to prevent the two layers vibrating?
Black Betty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Black Betty »

Yes, the foam/rubber is solid enough to prevent vibrating. I can't give you the specifications of the foam/rubber. I bought it at a local boat-shop.
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Ian,
Your comment - "Liking the leather stank straps idea; not sure Mr IVA would look to kindly on it though" got me thinking, so been looking at the IVA manual again and any objections to using the leather straps. The only comment which seem relevant is
"All fuel related components must be securely mounted" which is very open in its interpretation. Did you have a specific IVA clause/ concern in mind? I will add it to the list of points to discuss with Mr IVA before the test.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Ian,
Just to come back with the dimensions of the bonnet, sorry for the delay. The thickness of the bonnet varies around the hole between 12 to 13 mm and the gap between the two layers is 7 mm. I suspect this may change depending on where you cut the hole.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Mr Postie left me this today; Fuel Filler spill tray

It's a 6" bauer connector, made of mild steel with no galvanising, so easier to weld. Just need to weld a plate on the bottom with a 4" hole for the fuel filler to weld to and job done!
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw