How not to tune your flat four workshop 15th July Daventry

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

How not to tune your flat four workshop 15th July Daventry

Post by neilbardsley »

A couple of months ago I offered a session where members could bring along their car and we will work on it together. Ben kindly offer to come too to provide some real expertise. Unfortunately there were no takers. I'm keen to try and get something going so I'm going to offer a how not to tune your flat four workshop.

It will be in Daventry NN11 near junc 17/18 M1

How about 10am 15 Jul?

The idea that we start on something easy. I will try to demo. Then others will take the p155 and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Then someone else can have a go.

We will use my car as the dummy. If you bring your car we can tune that too but you will have to set your valve gaps when cold before coming.

I will try to cover the following

-> Setup valves gap
-> Check Spark plug condition/width.
-> Set point width/dwell
-> Set Max Adv
-> Balance carbs at idle and 2000/3000 rpm
-> set carb mixtures

I have all the tools needed.

I'm thinking some Sunday morning in July (not CLM)? If this is successful then next time we will do something on brakes. Mostly because I would like to look at mine :)
Last edited by neilbardsley on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: How not to tune your flat four workshop : July?

Post by smallspeed »

neilbardsley wrote:Ben kindly offer to come too to provide some real expertise
:lol: you might be over-eggin' the puddin' a bit there!

I'll try and come again this time, depending on date. could possibly lump my wifes type4 engine in the boot if people want to see one in bits depending what state thats in at the time
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

I would love to come where about safe you.

Roy
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

takeflight wrote:I would love to come where about safe you.

Roy
Good point. Rough location added. Address will be messaged to those interested. I'm a nice 30 mins drive from you in Warwick.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
mycar

Re: How not to tune your flat four workshop : July? : Davent

Post by mycar »

Is this a cunning plan to get Ben to come and tune your cars ? :lol:
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

I hope not or he might be disappointed with my lack of skill and knowledge on anything non bmw :lol:
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

neilbardsley wrote:
takeflight wrote:I would love to come where about safe you.

Roy
Good point. Rough location added. Address will be messaged to those interested. I'm a nice 30 mins drive from you in Warwick.
Great actually even closer

Cheers Roy
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

mycar wrote:Is this a cunning plan to get Ben to come and tune your cars ? :lol:
Actually Ben while you are here I have this small electrical issue ...
neilbardsley

How not to tune your flat four workshop : July 22th : Davent

Post by neilbardsley »

Lets try for 10am Sunday 22th of July?
MikeyC
Married to the DDK

Post by MikeyC »

Hi Guys, I'd love to join you for this. I am in the process of putting this back into it's rightful home ('66 912), so may be a useful addition:
20180615_105615v2.jpg
...but that date clashes with Silverstone Classic unfortunately.......
Mike Champion
www.mceporsche.com
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

MikeyC wrote:Hi Guys, I'd love to join you for this. I am in the process of putting this back into it's rightful home ('66 912), so may be a useful addition:
20180615_105615v2.jpg
...but that date clashes with Silverstone Classic unfortunately.......
Thank you lets go for the week before then!

15 Jul
Last edited by neilbardsley on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

smallspeed wrote:
neilbardsley wrote:Ben kindly offer to come too to provide some real expertise
:lol: you might be over-eggin' the puddin' a bit there!

I'll try and come again this time, depending on date. could possibly lump my wifes type4 engine in the boot if people want to see one in bits depending what state thats in at the time
I thought that too :lol:
912uk

Re: How not to tune your flat four workshop 15th July Davent

Post by 912uk »

I tried to get flat 4 folks more active and I am not surprised.. come on support him your learn lots and it's a great way to meet like minded folk..
valve clearance and hot engines?? :shock:

I'd come but sadly booked up..

I tried in my time to get a post going ref break downs.. so if you broke down we could get a list of issues all typed up ( yes I would have had to get my wife to spell check it, but could they do as much hands on stuff as me :roll: ) and then over time it was a nice build up of 1st port of calls if some one broke down.. but alas it was like trying to get bloody from a stone and only my breakdowns were listed..

I am looking to get my car out this month... storage has been too long but time doing other stuff... you never know I might just show up at some thing.. :)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

912uk wrote:I tried to get flat 4 folks more active and I am not surprised.. come on support him your learn lots and it's a great way to meet like minded folk..
valve clearance and hot engines?? :shock:

I'd come but sadly booked up..

I tried in my time to get a post going ref break downs.. so if you broke down we could get a list of issues all typed up ( yes I would have had to get my wife to spell check it, but could they do as much hands on stuff as me :roll: ) and then over time it was a nice build up of 1st port of calls if some one broke down.. but alas it was like trying to get bloody from a stone and only my breakdowns were listed..

I am looking to get my car out this month... storage has been too long but time doing other stuff... you never know I might just show up at some thing.. :)
Well thank you Mark. It's of because of people like Mark that I want to put these types of events on. A few years ago Mark was kind enough to show me around his collection and give a newbie some aircooled advice.
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Neil, this is a great idea, well done for organising. Unfortunately I'm not free that weekend but I'm sure it will be a great meet.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan