Comparing the Datsun 240Z to a 73T hotrod?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Comparing the Datsun 240Z to a 73T hotrod?

Post by 911hillclimber »

For a while we (The Boss and I) have started to fancy a 240Z, bog standard, in a usable but not pristine condition, manual box.
They seem rare compared to early 911's and prices vary considerably, yet to see one right for us.

Ideally would like to swop my 911 for one, but will see, probably sell the 911 and wait for the right car with cash in hand.
I know a few on here have 240Z's and have/had early 911's so might consider sharing some thoughts on driving, usability, spares etc.?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nick Moss

Re: Comparing the Datsun 240Z to a 73T hotrod?

Post by Nick Moss »

I have a 1972 240Z, ex-USA. It's not a quick car, probably equivalent to a 2.4T, but a very good tourer with excellent fuel consumption, good ventilation and loads of space, especially in the front. I'm 6'2" and have more space than in a 911. It attracts a similar amount of attention. The standard wheel trims may not be to everyone's taste, but a set of Miniltes will soon fix that. It can be bought.

Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
mrk
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrk »

I fancy one of MZR’s constructions...gorgeous details....

http://mzr-roadsports.com/en/
Best

Matt

2015 Bowler Defender #50
BMW M3 Touring
BMW X3
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you so far, encouraging.
It must be rhd for obvious reasons to us both!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Graham

I’m lucky enough to have had both at the same time

My ‘73 240Z

Now in the hands of Mick Cliff and my current RSRep

My 240 was moderately Modified, with a Fast Road engine still running the std twin Hitachi/ SU carbs, updated suspension and a Quaife diff. The Z is a great car with near 50/50 weight distribution, so they handle quite well. The straight 6 is torquey enough and likes to rev. A Euro spec car has a 5 Speed box and a lower geared 3.9 final drive, the US cars are 4sp and have a 3.5 diff as std.

Getting a good RHD car is hard to find, hence the popularity of US imports like Nick’s. Trim parts and body panels are hard to find, in fact almost impossible to get NOS bits.

The Z is quick enough for road driving, it wouldn’t have the punch of the bigger engined 911s, but it does react well to rev’ing ;)

The Z would be quieter and probably better for touring, the rear luggage space is good

If you are interested, check out the ZClub forum, Rob Gaskin the Club Sec is a great guy to talk to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

mrk wrote:I fancy one of MZR’s constructions...gorgeous details....

I know them really well, Rahail has done a lot of work on my 240. My car is a bit of a "hot rod", extended arches, wider wheels, turbo toy technics suspension imported from the states, sports seats, straight through exhaust etc. Great looking car and great fun to drive. It's featured on the MZR Instagram page, aerial shot and looks ace. I've spoken to him at length about buying their press car when it becomes available, after EVO, Classic and Sports car etc have had a go in it !
mrk
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrk »

sng45 wrote:

I know them really well, Rahail has done a lot of work on my 240. My car is a bit of a "hot rod", extended arches, wider wheels, turbo toy technics suspension imported from the states, sports seats, straight through exhaust etc. Great looking car and great fun to drive. It's featured on the MZR Instagram page, aerial shot and looks ace. I've spoken to him at length about buying their press car when it becomes available, after EVO, Classic and Sports car etc have had a go in it !
Totally get that...stunning work and really clean, crisp designs. They look just right and totally ‘finished’.
What sort of price range are they at that level?
Best

Matt

2015 Bowler Defender #50
BMW M3 Touring
BMW X3
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

mrk wrote:
sng45 wrote:

Totally get that...stunning work and really clean, crisp designs. They look just right and totally ‘finished’.
What sort of price range are they at that level?
Too much ! Somewhere between £85 - £100,000 depending on spec' however they are very much a "Singer" quality of conversion and MZR have had numerous components made from scratch, carbon mirrors, billet wheels, modified 2.8 litre injection engines etc. Very similar quality to the "Alfaholics" 105 step front conversions and "Singer" 911's.I think they build the highest quality "restomod" 240's available, and they are great people to deal with. I'm very much an advocate and looking forward to reading the magazine reviews.
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

My present 240Z - top left & right of "Gallery" section

http://mzr-roadsports.com/en/portfolio- ... lio-images
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I had my first and only ride in a 'new' Z in the mid 70's and it has stuck in my mind since.
A rhd UK car seems an impossibility for about 20K.
Good to read about various experiences, thank you, and thanks Mike for those details. 8)

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

MikeB wrote:Graham
My ‘73 240Z

Now in the hands of Mick Cliff

Getting a good RHD car is hard to find......If you are interested, check out the ZClub forum, Rob Gaskin the Club Sec is a great guy to talk to
Not far from you Graham - at the Donnington Historic Festival, Saturday 5th May, there will be 30+ Zeds on 'display'.
All being well I'll be there in mine and it would be good to meet you
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you Mike, but full weekend of championship hill climbing into the Lola. That would have been ideal too.
Maybe at the Silverstone Classic?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

sng45 wrote:

Is this yours? Looks awesome 8)
I still have nightmares about the first time I stripped one of those engines for a rebuild in a former life - never seen so many gears :D

chevychase
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by chevychase »

Here's a picture of mine (many years ago) to further whet your appetite, still on the road according to the DVLA.

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I'm dribbling already!
The Z seems to me the next car.
I've had my 911 for 29 years now, and although a cracker, itching for something a bit different but interesting.
Got a feeling the wife is not quite on board with selling the 911.

I think both car are roughly the same value and the 911 will not appreciate.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9