We need to meet...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

We need to meet...

Post by Darren65 »

I'm not aware of this happening so an idea...

A Sunday morning DDK meet - maybe just twice a year North and South?

No PCGB event - no Classics at the Castle - no, let's hook up at Silverstone/Goodwood etc - no camping - no euro tour - no CLM 2012 - no hotels - no booking in advance - no admission charge - no fuss!

Not knocking and love all the above but what about a simple Sunday morning drive?

A large car park and a coffee shop, coastal, scenic and off the beaten track for a sense of adventure? - chat, banter, appreciation, just DDK people and DDK cars - I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

R Gruppe seem to do it well... http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 20&t=34605

What do you think?

Darren
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: We need to meet...

Post by jb »

good idea
the traditional meet in spring has always been at husborne crawley car boot meet but I gather that is off this year

I usually go to the first Prescott hillclimb meeting of the year at the end of april 28th/29th
http://www.prescott-hillclimb.com/events.aspx
it is very relaxed there in nice surroundings and does not cost very much £10 (I think)

I am happy to go where ever people want to meet
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

There have been some splendid get togethers over the years, usually initiated by James (hot66).
First one was in 2005 I think.
Have a look through Past Events to get the idea.
This year Classic Le Mans has taken precedence for many people.....

Feel free to propose something.
A "tour" of the Cotswolds might get some interest?
Suggest you make contact with hot66 to get some insight as to what's involved. I guess that organising such a meet takes a LOT of time and needs a goodly amount of dedication.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Hi All
Sounds like a great idea, so I'm up for it. If all goes to plan I may even be back behind the wheel of a 911 again.... :bounce:

All the best
Ian F.

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Mick Cliff wrote:There have been some splendid get togethers over the years, usually initiated by James (hot66). This year Classic Le Mans has taken precedence for many people.....
A "tour" of the Cotswolds might get some interest? I guess that organising such a meet takes a LOT of time and needs a goodly amount of dedication.
I know James puts in a massive amount of effort, hats off to him and I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone at CLM this year.

My thought though was an all-inclusive get together where everyone just 'meets' - no tours, no driving around, no real organisation, no cost (other than the fuel to get there), no booking time off work and no attending someone else's event. A car park as a meeting point where you can just turn up, stay and go as you please.

Just DDK people and DDK cars - a chance to put a face to the username and to talk about, drool over and look at a bunch of gorgeous early Porsches 8)

Darren
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

'Cars and coffee' seems to be popular over the pond.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
myatt1972
DDK rules my life!

Post by myatt1972 »

Sounds good to me Darren, count me in.
Just the small matter of having a roadworthy car but Im not the only one with that problem :wink:
Keith...

73 911e sporto
73 914 2.0l
86 928s S2
85 Mazda Rx7 (TWR)
85 Mazda Rx7
The Bonser fork truck
Volvo V40 T4 (200bhp workhorse)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

... once I get my car back on the road my motivation will come back & I will be doing my usual bit of trying to drag people out for drives ;) :lol: ...... having not had the car on the road for almost 12 months is kind of depressing :(

Darren, we have some cracking routes up here , low traffic volume & snow poles ( snow poles, as all northern DDK'ers know, is an indication you are on a good driving road ;) ) . DDK Calendar is looking quiet in August, so we should do something then . Us northern DDK'ers will deffo be having one of our drive / meets in Aug :)

Always tended to head north for this reason .... anything south of Harrogate & there always seems to be too too much traffic ..... even Wales these days seems to be busy.

is this the kind of thing you're thinking of ?

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21825

The only problem we have as DDK , is when on the forum it seems like a big group of people .... but when it comes to meets , you realise just how far apart every one is. The local meets are good for the 'turn up for a beer / chat' kind of thing, but even then you can stuggle to get more than 8 cars.( even our local curry meet is over 100 miles round trip for me)
When you try & bring together an all inclusive national meet , it'a difficult to get people to travel 200 miles + just for a coffee which is why we do the overnight / driving kind of thing ........ not many can resist driving their old Porsches on good roads followed by a beer or 2 ;)

Not trying to put you off , as we do need meets .. they are what DDK is about & the more the merrier :)

At `CLM, it'll be good to see what ideas people might have for the DDK 2013 event :) ................ 2013 is DDK's 10 year aniverary !!!!! :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Hope to have car up and running soon,and this sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday.Only problem is the venue.Being north of the border,it's a bit of a drive to fit in the one day.
Perhaps the Scottish contingent could have something similar.Wonder how many of the lads north of the border would be up for this?Also what would be a suitable meeting place.Be interested to know how many DDK's live up here.
Regards,
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Dougie

Brendan and I attempted this before

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... rk#p272467

There are four or five of us in the 'south west' and the best chance we have is for a reasonable get together is probably border territory so we can drag up some of those so called northerners from Yorkshire. There are one or two north east (Fife, Aberdeen) members so that's why we tried New Lanark but none could make it down for the day. We had a good time anyway despite a miserable overcast day.

Once your car is on the road we could have a mini meet of our own(looking forward to seeing it).

Regards
Mike
Last edited by 210bhp on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote:is this the kind of thing you're thinking of ? http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21825
The only problem we have as DDK , is when on the forum it seems like a big group of people .... but when it comes to meets , you realise just how far apart every one is. The local meets are good for the 'turn up for a beer / chat' kind of thing, but even then you can stuggle to get more than 8 cars.
Definitely the kind of thing James but imagine getting 30, 40, 50 cars there, simply awesome!

I know what you mean about the Brits reluctance to travel - I live 8 miles out of Swindon but getting friends who live there to pop by is like asking them to visit the moon!!! - Personally I'd travel any distance to see the right car and meet great people and have happily done so.

California is quite some distance top to bottom yet R Gruppe seem to cope.

Imagine this though - one Sunday morning up North (or South to avoid the rain!) - JohnM has finished his E and is coming along, Andy will be showing up in his 904, Mike is definitely bringing his incredible RSR and hopefully Brendan and Mike will make it their LWB prototype - it'd be like watching a blockbuster movie and then attending an event to rub shoulders with the stars! :shock: - Who WOULDN"T go!!

I can always dream :wink:
Darren
hot66

Post by hot66 »

sounds good :)

Best turn out we had was when we did the Coast 2 Coast :) ... classis Porshes everywhere 8)

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... ilit=coast

These days, there are issues ( legally speaking ) regarding organised routes etc .. there are ways around this though
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
stuby
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by stuby »

Yes - agreed there are all sorts of issues with 'organised' meets - but if kept low key, (which is difficult given the hoodlums on here... ) it can be done I'm sure. I may even get to one soon in mine - its nearly there....................

I suppose the Drive -it day for the classic car movement is a good example of a low key event.... not been stopped - yet ( leave it to the Government though and they'll soon fix that )

Stu
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

would love to meet up with a few

R gruppe has a certain mystique

cant see why DDK gruppe shouldnt be similar

personally wld like to differentiate between real members who "do" and those who are keyboard warriers

no offence meant

ps i will happily organise a south coast thing people can come and camp at mine and park in total safety, local pub a 2 min walk and then maybe Gooodood the day after...I think track days are massively misunderstood, with the right minded people is simply a chance to drive at fastish pace down a country road WITHOUT fear of being done
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

This is a great idea, you just need to decide unilaterally on a date and venue (well placed for a few you can press gang and the centre of gravity of a reasonable proportion of people) and go ahead. We do this twice a year in the Frazer Nash club, spring and autumn, at the Phoenix at Hartley Wintney (tomorrow in fact) and consistently get 30 or so FNs. It takes a few to build momentum. You will always get people who think of a reason to avoid/embellish etc (see above) but persist and keep date and venue fairly regular and it will grow. Coastal is a nice idea but inevitably a long way from many people and often busy. Is there still a cafe just off the roundabout on the old bypass on the south side of Cirencester? Used to be 24/7?
I'm in, W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff