RSR exhaust box

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Barry »

As seen on my old blue 911 (fitted, I think in 2004??). In fact that was a system that evolved from conventional and then twin pipe only (raised so the outlets went half-diameter up into the valance in an Audi TT stylee, although some said more Beetle than TT :roll: ).

Anyway, that was too noisy, so the third outlet went back on, but rotated 90d, and pointing downwards in a smokey old diesel stylee :lol: . I also added a couple of restrictors to the twin outlets (hidden inside), unitl I got the sound about right.

The only thing I never got around to was to let in a blank in the bumper 1/4.

Next car perhaps .....
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

Hi Barry, that exhaust was removed last year and replaced with a near identical stainless steel one custom made by TurboThomas. It is pictured and described in detail on this thread. http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25393 and theres a few pics on the www.turbothomas.com website along with Bootsy's. The new exhaust transformed the car into one I can drive for more than 30 minutes without needing earplugs. Your modified exhaust was starting to rust and had a number of small holes in it which only added to the noise... I should have measured the sound level before it was replaced but you live and learn. I still have it somewhere in the garage if I could be bothered to get it refitted then measured for sound levels.

Cheers

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Barry wrote:I think Mike is looking for 100% factory look :wink:
of course the 100% original factory look is no back box at all, just open megaphones!

We have an original set of mega's with an original hanger that holds them on which we will use when we start it up for the first time on the engine dyno
later this summer for the max power runs. Should then be able to swop them over to the new back box and map the power loss both with flaps open and
flaps closed and see how it effects the torque as well.

The new back box on mine will be finished in ceramic black to help it blend in, as you can see from the picture below of the original prototype car a grey
box would not look right at all, you can also see the single pipe outlet from when it ran it's standard engine as the recce car, Barry kindly made the cut
out for me in my quarter bumper and fitted up a blanking plate so I have the option if I'm really stuck with noise regs to put on my single outlet box.

Will post pictures on the 'My New Project' thread when we get to that bit :roll:

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
964RS

Post by 964RS »

I have a friend who had a box made by another friend.

It had 3 outlets. One in corner as normal and then 2 central straight exit pipes.

The 2 central ones had custom screw on caps made. The noise with them off was fantastic but with them on far more subdued.

It was still a straight through pipe though.

Must be better idea than filling a box with crap and wiring up pulley systems?

If you're interested I'll get pics and cost (don't think it will be expensive really as not much to it) and see if he know difference in decibels on and off.

Simple system and doubt it affects performance much either.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Mike

Post by Mike »

964RS wrote:It had 3 outlets.
That's what we are trying to avoid.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

My 'long term' project will wear this decal with pride ...

:wink:
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Okay, another stab.....

In order to get a clean flow of gas into and out of the centre section, you really need to graft on an elbow to the straight through pipe. Say one near the inlet, that curves forward to end up facing inwards against the lower rear side of the silencer skin. The outlet could come in from the top section (front side of the skin) and curve down/back to merge with the outlet.

Very tight but possible. However, if you only fitted a butterfly in the middle of the straight through pipe (forcing the gas to take a round trip) there would be a lot of turbulence when you had it in "race" mode from the attached diversionary piping.

Another idea would be to also have another slightly smaller pipe that slides up from each tail pipe to cover the extra inlet/outlet when you have it in straight-through setting. These could easily be fitted by hand or by cables if you are really creative.
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

I have just put a standard silencer on my ST rep in preparation for Spa next week end, oh it sounds so boring now :cry:
I shall be back to my dual outlet immediately afterwards!
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Bruce M wrote: However, if you only fitted a butterfly in the middle of the straight through pipe (forcing the gas to take a round trip) there would be a lot of turbulence when you had it in "race" mode from the attached diversionary piping.
Looking forward to seeing where Mike takes this one :)

Selection of electric butterfly valves over on Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-670150/

Martin
Mike

Post by Mike »

well now this looks interesting, seems like one end of an RSR box with a lever in it bolted one way, then the other.......... ummm

cheers, Mike.

previously..
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

Mike wrote:well now this looks interesting, seems like one end of an RSR box with a lever in it bolted one way, then the other.......... ummm

Very clever design Mike. So you are not making it switchable from the cockpit?

Ian.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Dont switch it after some 'spirited' driving.....if you want to keep your fingers!
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Mike

Post by Mike »

IanMcLeod wrote:So you are not making it switchable from the cockpit?Ian.
Ian, this is Mk1 made to test the principle of the internals of the box and get some decibel figures which we should have today.
Cables, rods and levers into the cockpit could be offered if really wanted, but I wouldn't bother as it would look unsightly under
the car and even more expensive in what has already been a costly process :roll:

cheers, Mike.

previously..
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
TDK
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TDK »

Nice, now all you need is an asbestos glove!...

:lol:

Simon.
1973 Gemini Blue 911
Mike

Post by Mike »

actually all you need is a 6mm allen key!

cheers, Mike.

previously..
3.2 Carrera Sport x2